I need help coming out to my parents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help coming out to my parents

So I've just started to accept the fact that I might be bisexual, but I think I'm kind of in between Bi and Straight because I wouldn't mind kissing a girl or going on a date with her, but I'd be really uncomfortable if I were to have sex with another girl. To be honest, in elementary school I would get crushes on these girls in my classes, I think when I first noticed this I was in 2nd or 1st grade, but I would always push those feelings beside and scold myself for it because I thought that you were only allowed to have crushes on boys like that's how my parents raised me and that's what I grew up around, so I thought that it was bad and that I'd be made fun of for it so I just kind of tried to ignore them. But now that I've grown up and learned that it's okay to be a different sexuality I've accepted the fact that I might be Bi, and I've told some of my friends and they've been really supportive of me, but I've been feeling really guilty lately because I've been keeping this from my parents. Like I want to tell them, but I don't know how, and I feel like if I do tell them they won't accept it, or at least my dad won't. I feel my mom would accept it easier than he would because I've gotten into fights about sexuality with my dad before, because some of my friends are gay, and because he thinks he knows everything he thinks that they don't know what they're doing while he doesn't even know what goes through their mind 24/7. And I'm just really scared of telling them, please help me.

It is definitely understandable why you are scared. This is a hard situation especially when you are assuming the worst based off of past conversations you've had with your dad. I actually would not recommend telling your parents just yet because it sounds like you are still pretty confused about your sexuality. I feel like you are in a stage where you are still trying to figure yourself out. A lot of girls are actually attracted to other girls and/or kiss them...maybe you are just more physically attracted to girls then sexually which would not necessarily make you Bi. I would take time and as much time as you need to get more in touch with your feelings in relation to this before telling your parents something that may not even be. Maybe even experiment a bit more...for example, you can start by actually going on a date with a girl, then kissing a girl. This can help you see if it is maybe something that you have always wondered/were curious about and needed to get out of your system or if it could possibly be something more than that. Worry about yourself first and be 100% sure and until you don't have to use the phrases "in between", "might", and "I think" then it would be a good idea to move on to making a plan for telling your parents. If you would like to talk about this further please give us a call at the 2NDFLOOR Youth Helpline. We are here 24/7 at 888-222-2228. You can also text us daily at this number between 4pm and 8pm. Good luck!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Smile :) Frown :( Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Mad :mad: Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
    Working...
    X