Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interracial relationships and being trans

Okay so I am a closeted transguy.
    Today I was at a doctor's office with my grandma (keep in mind, she is typically a very nice lady. Never curses. Wouldn't hurt a fly) and this interracial couple walks in. She whispers to me "ugh, I'm gonna throw up". Now me, having the benifit of the doubt asks why and she confirms "because I just don't like mixed couples". I was not only appalled by her statement but kind of hurt because if she's so stuck in the 50s, how is she gonna take it when I come out? Should I come out? My grandpa is even worse. He refers to my dad's gay friend as "Fred the f*g". I don't want to be disowned by my grandparentside because they mean a lot to me.

Coming out is a very personal decision one that unfortunately we cannot make for you. Sometimes when people are coming out they don't always have the support of every family member or friend. Even though most of the world is becoming more understanding and nonjudgmental there are many people that still hold certain beliefs. I would like to say that your grandparents will still be there for you but I don't know that answer so coming out to them could be difficult. Have you come out to anyone else? Parents? Friends? Sometimes having their support first can be helpful in opening up to people who may not be as understanding. It's your decision to come out to your grandparents and only yours. If some people shut you out after/when you decide you are ready to come out you will still have the support of many other people whether it be friends, family, or the trans community. If you want to talk more call 2NDFLOOR Youth Helpline 24/7 at 888-222-2228 or text us daily 4-8PM at 908-280-0235. Good luck!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Stick Out Tongue :p Confused :confused: Smile :) Frown :( Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Mad :mad: Wink ;) Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
    Working...
    X