This topic is closed.
X
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Girls Camp

Hi, im going to sleepaway camp in a few weeks. The camp I'm going to is all girls. I have a problem with this. I am a girl, but I'm queer. Genderqueer and pansexual. I don't know if they will accept me. Are there any laws that can protect me from bigots? I would honestly like to be open to everyone about my sexuality very soon. I don't want things to be weird at camp.
    Also, do you know of any sleep away camps in New Jersey with a GSA? Idk if my camp has one.
    Thanks,
    -another anon

Coming out to people is a decision everyone must make on their own, and most people would tell you to do your best to make sure it's the right place and time. Coming out is fine and in many cases people are accepting and fine with it, however, there are cases that occur where the person coming out may wish they chose a better time and place. There is no right and wrong way to do it, just think about it, survey the situation and make an informed, wise decision that will allow you to be you and enjoy summer camp all at the same time. There are bullying laws in place in schools, but don't necessarily transfer to summer camps, regarding bullying and being treated unfairly for being gay. At this time however, being a bigot is not illegal. If you feel people are treating you unfairly or you are being discriminated against because of your sexuality, report it to a counselor or an adult at the camp. They should be able to help you out.
    Check out www.dreamsofhope.org/page/summer-camps for a list of LGBTQ friendly camps (none in NJ, but Philly) and see if any appeal to you. Also check out www.thetrevorproject.org for some tips and ideas about choosing the right time to come out. Call us anytime with a problem at 888-222-2228.

Comment

Thanks

So you mean to tell me that if people decide to not accept me at camp, and they harass me, I will have no legal protection? That's great, just great. Tell me please, when am I gonna get rights not only as a LGBT teen but as a minor who is pushed around a lot? Honestly, I'm tired of this. I would really like to go to camp in 2 weeks and be sure that I will be safe from emotional and/or physical torment. But no, that is not garunteed I guess. So now my anxiety about camp is even worse because now, I know my rights as of which, I have none. Thanks.

Comment

best camp ever

If you're worried, try Omega Teen Camp. It's in NY I think, and it was the best camp I've ever been too. It's where I first came out. It was the best feeling in the world to finally be accepted. http://www.eomega.org/workshops/theme-weeks/teen-camp trust me, it's worth looking into!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        Stick Out Tongue :p Confused :confused: Smile :) Frown :( Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Mad :mad: Wink ;) Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
        Working...
        X