College

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College

It's my junior year and I just feel so overwhelmed. I have a 3.7 weighted GPA and a 3.6 unweighted, which isn't bad, but it's really nothing to brag about either. I want to go to schools that have student average GPAs of 3.8-3.9 when they apply and have SAT scores of 1800 and up and ACT scores of 30 and up.... I'm awful at the SAT and only have a 21 in the ACT. I'm hoping my AP class will boost my GPA but who knows by how much. I got an A- in my AP class last semester, and I'm working for at least another A-. I'm just really stressed and unmotivated and sad and I don't really know why. I'm really involved in my school and I'm going to be President of student council for next year which I'm excited for and I'm hoping schools will find this impressive as well. As a whole, I can't wait to get out of high school because so far, these have been the worst years of my life (although everyone assumes I'm always sunshine and rainbows). However, the idea of applying to colleges makes me physically sick. All my friends know what they want to do with their lives and have been to a handful of college visits, and I'm currently trying to avoid them until possibly this Summer because the whole process literally terrifies me. My parents are so controlling when it comes to academics, and I know that in the end, I probably won't have a say in which college I end up in. They'll probably send me to some well-known state school with a huge number of students, which I would hate. I realize I'm probably about to sound like every corny teen movie, but I would literally do anything to get at least an hour or two away from my town and the people in it. I have a lot of goals for the future and I'm hoping I'll be able to meet them and to finally feel like I'm not a failure at everything I do. For once, I just want to be genuinely happy.

Thank you for contacting us at 2NDFLOOR! It really sounds like you have a lot weighing on your mind in regards to making the right choice about college. It is definitely normal to feel stressed out when you are first starting the college search process. There are A LOT of education options out there, and it can be overwhelming in the beginning when you first take a look at it all. From what you have mentioned about your current academic stance though, it sounds like you are in good standing for many schools. It may not feel like your academics are up to par for the standards of the schools of your choice, but keep in mind that colleges don't just look at a students academic performance. They are interested in a students extra curricular activities and their involvement in school as well. You mentioned that you are very involved and looking to be the President of your Student Council, those are two things that will help to make you an excellent candidate for many schools. In addition, you mentioned that you have goals for yourself. That is a HUGE step in the college planning process. If you already have those goals set, you can use those goals to help search for colleges that may help you meet your goals.

If possible, it may also be helpful for you to schedule an appointment with your guidance counselor. Many school counselors are well versed in the different college options and the application process. They might be able to help you break down your options and explain the various college options. Once you've met with a counselor you may then feel more comfortable to talk with your parents about your options. While you may feel like your parents have the ultimate say, remember that there is the possibility for financial aid, loans, and scholarships that may help you to financially fund your college education all by yourself.

If you don't feel ready to talk to a counselor yet, you can also check out the following two websites: www.collegeboard.org helps to breakdown the college planning and search process, and www.fafsa.gov helps to breakdown the financial aid process.

Ultimately just remember that EVERYONE has a DIFFERENT college search and planning process. Just because some of your friends may be set in their plans and search, doesn't mean that you need to be. If you would like to talk more about this or anything else you can feel free to call 2NDFLOOR 24/7 at 1-888-222-2228!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Mad :mad: Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Confused :confused: Smile :) Frown :( Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
    Working...
    X