Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I the Only One Who Doesn't Drink???

I never liked alcohol and never felt like I needed to drink to have fun. (As a side note, I have a medical condition where it probably isn't safe to drink tons of alcohol anyway,so I'm all for staying sober even more) In high school, none of my friends drank, and if they did, they knew it wasn't my thing and respected that. Now that I'm 19 and in college, it feels like all everyone is doing is going out to parties on the weekends, while I'm just hanging out. I'm not ready to be thrown into that kind of environment and refuse to let anyone talk me into something I don't feel comfortable with. (I'm the "good girl" and the "sweetheart", not that I always enjoy that stereotype!!) My friends who originally weren't drinkers, now go out always telling me I shouldn't come and that it isn't fun anyway! It's weird, I know I shouldn't be feeling like I'm "missing out", but I do! I'm trying to find a second group of friends who don't drink, but am having a little more trouble than I thought...I know I can't be the only girl who doesn't need alcohol to have a good time...right??

You are most definitely not the only girl who doesn't need alcohol to have a good time! You should be very proud of yourself for having the ability at your age to stay away from that and to also be able to go out and have fun sober. I understand that it seems like everyone you are around is partying all the time because the majority of college students are. Unfortunately that is the type of society we live in and a part of life and growing up. However that doesn't mean you have to be comfortable with it which is more than ok. Since this is only your first year of college and you are only a few months in it is going to take time to meet the type of girls who share your interests and to also get used to the "college life". Maybe you can try joining different activities or get a job on campus which will keep you busy in a positive way and provide you with the opportunity to meet more people. Also, as time goes on you may start to feel comfortable going to parties with your friends and being ready to say no. They should start to respect you like your high school friends and if they don't then maybe they are not good friends after all. If you decide to put yourself in that environment because "you don't want to miss out" (which is an understandable feeling) and someone asks you if you want a drink all you need to do is get yourself a red cup with water,soda or juice and no one will know what it is! Just continue to be smart, safe, healthy, and strong! Remember that you have the power to create your own college experience and you will find the right people to do that with! Keep trying to find those friends and don't give up! If you ever want to talk you can call us here at the 2NDFLOOR Youth Helpline 24/7 at 888-222-2228

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Frown :( Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Mad :mad: Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Confused :confused: Smile :) Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
    Working...
    X