Do I have an eating disorder ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have an eating disorder ?

Since January I've been really concerned about my weight. Lately I've been purging after anything I eat , starving myself day after day , and checking my weight constantly. I am terrified of gaining weight even if it's just a pound. I'm currently 121 pounds and I'm 5'1. I'm an average weight but I want to be skinny and thin. There are days where I look at how many calories In Foods , and there other days where I eat anything and I purge afterwards. I don't think I have an eating disorder because I'm an average weight and I do this like 5 out of 7 days in the week . And I purge atleast 3x a day. I find myself very depressed because I'm not losing weight fast enough. And I hear voices In my head calling me fat , ugly , and worthless. I know I'm not but I can't helpbut feel this way. Help me and tell me what's wrong with me please .

It's not possible to diagnosis you with anything based on a message board post, but there are a lot of behaviors that you are describing that are unhealthy. In fact, seeking professional help would probably be in your best interest this point. Check out the website www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/ for a start for finding help. Any purging at all is really not good for you, even if it's one day a week, so five days a week is a lot to purge. Eating disorders are also not based on your weight (you indicate you don't think you have an eating disorder because you are average weight), in fact, you could be overweight and have an eating disorder. Do you have anyone you can talk to about seeking out treatment or professional diagnosis? Maybe parents or other family? Guidance counselor? Please don't wait to start the help process, usually, as with most things catching these behaviors earlier makes them easier to help than catching them later. Call us anytime at 888-222-2228.

Comment

You're not alone...

Firstly, let me remind you that you are not alone in feeling these things. In the United States alone, millions upon millions of people have expressed similar concerns, feelings, and behaviors. There is a lot of information out there, it may be helpful to read into.

Often times people struggle with these feelings and thoughts, bottle it up inside and refrain from sharing out of fear or feeling ashamed so PLEASE be proud of yourself, for reaching out it is very commendable.

Though you requested help, in finding out what is going on exactly. Nobody can accurately diagnose over the internet or without the proper credentials. I do recommend seeking professional advice, because you expressed a lot of symptoms which do reflect the possibility of having some sort of body image struggle and/or unhealthy eating habits.

In addition to seeking a therapist to discuss these emotions and voices you claim you hear, you may want to look into discussing healthy nutrition with your Primary Care Doctor or even a school nurse or health teacher at school.

Seems like you may need to build that self esteem a bit too, know that you are a beautiful being inside and out! I don't know you, but I know there is beauty in all people and things within and without. Try to focus on some of the positive things you like about yourself, and if you're having trouble with that maybe ask some of your friends or family members for helpful reminders.

Again, I know it isn't easy reaching out so please BE proud and give yourself a pat on the back!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      Big Grin :D Mad :mad: Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Confused :confused: Smile :) Frown :( Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
      Working...
      X