Sex ed...j

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sex ed...j

I don't really know which topic I should have entered this so I went with the general. Anyway, I am a senior in high school and have never really gone through a sexual education course but with the help of the internet its not much of a problem for me, but now I am at a point where I have to help a small group of freshman who is all male not only learn about sex ed but create a presentation to present to the class about it. I have only been able to teach them about the act of sex, and how a child is produced from the act of sex, and about some forms of birth control and protection also some other biological facts. I really want them to understand more about consent, the fact that sex isn't evil like most classic books and video shows, the fact that your sexuality or gender shouldn't dictate your sexual wants, and that they are perfectly normal. I also want to be able to cover things like masturbation, how to know when they are ready, and how peer pressure may try to affect them, sex is perfectly normal and it's not this 'sacred" thing its just the biological urge and it's okay for them to crave it and even to go as far as to be able to let them know that sex is fine to partake in as long as the consent, safety, and legal rules are being followed. My problem is that I can't really articulate my words correctly since it's a sensitive topic. Do you have any reading material, suggestions, or tips I can use to help them? Maybe a website or videos or something that explains to them these things without freaking them out and believing that sex is the root of evil and will ultimately cause the end of your life no matter what?

I want to commend you for your healthy and mature perspective on sexuality, despite never having taken a formal sex education course. While developing your own sex education presentation sounds pretty intimidating, I can see from your own reflection of knowledge that you are fully capable of providing valuable information to other students. Although you say you can't really articulate your words correctly regarding the topic, you're doing a phenomenal job explaining sexuality in through your post in a way young people can understand. You are equipped to be an ideal teacher because not only do you have a positive and realistic understanding of sexuality, but you are a peer who is living through the same as your audience. Here are some sex and relationship positive websites that might be helpful to you in creating your presentation:

http://www.scarleteen.com
    https://sexetc.org/
    http://www.loveisrespect.org/

In terms of tips, just being yourself will serve you well in the context of sharing your knowledge of sexuality with others. Being genuine and relaxed will help to put your students at ease, as well as reinforce the concept that sexuality is a perfectly healthy and normal part of being human. It might also be helpful to allow a portion of time for the audience to ask any questions they may have about the topic, as it can break down the stigma of the subject being "taboo". Although it may be anxiety-producing to speak in front of others about what some consider to be a sensitive topic, you are deserving of confidence in yourself. You're going to do an awesome job! We are available via call and text 24/7 at 888-222-2228 if you'd like to receive any further support. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you need to in the future! Thank you for contacting 2NDFLOOR Youth Helpline!

Comment

I know it has been a while since this the original posting, but I wanted to thank you so much. With, the materials and advice you have given me I was able to teach sexual education, in a way I thought was acceptable. We created a wonderful presentation that we got a fantastic grade on, and I am so happy I was able to help them have a better understanding of the "awkward" and intimidating topic. I also wanted to thank you because with the I actually learned many new things myself. As I had mentioned before I never took a sex ed course, so this wasn't just helpful for them but for me as well. I am very grateful for this post and just wanted say thank you!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      Smile :) Frown :( Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Mad :mad: Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
      Working...
      X