Post-Vacation Depression

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post-Vacation Depression

Alright so I just got back from Universal Orlando yesterday. It was fun and all but there always has to be a downside.

And it's Post-Vacation Depression.

I mean, I've had it before, but I feel this time I've had it more than ever. I hit my pillow at like 1 in the morning and I cried myself to sleep. I've almost never done that in my almost 14 years of existence. Even today after ~20 hours I walked through my door I still feel super down and almost near tears. Couple that and with November and early December generally being my least favorite time of the year and I'm absolutely miserable. The sun setting earlier also makes me really sad. Sure, I love having the sun up at 6:45 in the morning, but it's setting 10 hours later so I almost have no effect. I also feel super unproductive, cramped, and isolated. The PTD is making me like not doing anything, but I feel I have to do something except most of my other friends are also on vacation in Florida, and my house feels super cramped and lackluster compared to the hotel I stayed at. I feel life is almost meaningless if I'm not doing something. As usual even after the vacation I feel suicidal thoughts to make the pain go away. Of course I never tell my family anything because I know they'll try and """""""fix"""""""" it.

I need help.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having such difficult feelings after your vacation. It sounds like the post-vacation negative emotions you've been experiencing have also occurred before. From what you describe, it seems like there are several factors influencing what you are feeling. The end of Daylight Savings Time can have a huge impact on our energy levels and emotions. The time change disrupts our circadian rhythms (our internal biological "clocks") which affect many of our bodies' processes, including how we're feeling. To an extent, experiencing some sadness and lack of motivation during this time of year is understandable. The other factors that may be increasing your negative emotions include transitioning back from an enjoyable vacation (and hotel) where you were most likely getting a lot more mood-improving sunlight and exciting stimulation. Many people experience dips in their mood during the winter months due to shorter days and less time spent outside as well.

However, it sounds like the emotions you've been experiencing are leading you to have some unsafe thoughts. I know that you may be hesitant to express what you've been feeling to your family, but sharing these difficult thoughts are the first step to getting the help you're asking for. Another option may be speaking to your school counselor about what you've been going through. It may be that your school counselor can help you speak to your family to help them understand the difficult time you've been having. It can also be helpful to discuss with your school counselor if therapy is an option to address with your family. While it can be expected to feel somewhat down as a result of the time change and onset of the colder months, having thoughts of harming yourself requires necessary support from others so you can start to feel better. If you ever feel in danger of acting on your unsafe thoughts, you can always reach out to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 or 911. I'm really glad you reached out to us to get some more support! Thank you for reaching out to 2NDFLOOR Youth Helpline. Please don't hesitate to contact us by call or text 24/7 at 888-222-2228 for more help!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Stick Out Tongue :p Confused :confused: Smile :) Frown :( Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Mad :mad: Wink ;) Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
    Working...
    X