General anxiety disorder?!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General anxiety disorder?!

I'm a sophomore in high school and for the past year and a half or so I have been having frequent panic attacks for no reason and it interferes with my school work. I also worry A LOT and will think about that same thing for a long time. My problem is that I don't know how to ask my mom to go see a doctor because she'll just brush it aside and tell me to "wait for it to pass"

I'm glad that you're reaching out to get some support! It sounds like your feelings of anxiety could be difficult to manage on your own. I'm also sorry to hear your concern about your mother not supporting you in seeking treatment. It may be helpful to try and express to your mother just how severely this anxiety is affecting you in your daily life. For example, letting her know how long this has been going on and that it's been difficult to focus in school and/or complete your assignments. Another strategy might be to speak about what you've been experiencing to your school counselor first. Your school counselor may be able to help you speak with your mom and validate that you've been having a really tough time. Additionally, a family member you trust might be someone who could support you in sharing your emotions with your mom. It sounds like it might be difficult to reach out for more support right now, but advocating for your own needs is a very admirable step that you're taking. That's something to be proud of! If you need any resources to find mental health professionals in your area, you can always check out www.psychologytoday.com and type your zipcode in the search bar. If you live within New Jersey, you can also try the NJMentalHealthCares hotline at 866-202-4357 (they're available Monday-Friday, 8am-8pm). Last but not least, you can always call or text us 24/7 if you need any further support! Thank you for reaching out to 2NDFLOOR Youth Helpline!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Stick Out Tongue :p Confused :confused: Smile :) Frown :( Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Mad :mad: Wink ;) Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
    Working...
    X