This topic is closed.
X
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question

Hi, I recently started therapy with a new therapist that I feel comfortable with (after 1 great one and then 1 horrible one and 2 okay one) and I'm afraid to tell her that I've been having suicidal thoughts (I'm not planning on acting on them) because I had two attempts a little less then a year ago. Would I have to go back into the hosiptal again just for having them? Again I have no intention to act on them or desire to

I'm glad to hear that you've recently begun therapy again to get more support. While sharing your thoughts of harming yourself with your therapist might seem dangerous or scary, it's ultimately the best way to get the help you need. In sharing these thoughts with your therapist, you can get more support to discuss possible coping strategies and safety plans. It sounds like it could be very difficult to manage these thoughts on your own. It's also hard for therapy to be effective when important thoughts and emotions are held back during the sessions. It seems like being hospitalized after your attempts was a negative experience for you and I'm sorry to hear that. While we cannot predict what your therapist will recommend, simply having thoughts to hurt yourself does not necessarily mean that you will have to go straight back to the hospital, especially if you have no intent to act on those thoughts. In expressing what you are truly thinking and feeling with your therapist, he/she will be able to work with you more effectively on coping and keeping yourself safe. If you feel unsafe and in danger of acting on your thoughts, please reach out to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 or call 911. I'm really glad you are reaching out to get support! Thank you for contacting 2NDFLOOR Youth Helpline! If you ever need more help you can call or text us 24/7 at 888-222-2228.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Frown :( Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Mad :mad: Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Confused :confused: Smile :) Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
    Working...
    X