Trauma

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trauma

So I'm going to the doctors for a check up and of course they have to touch you to see what's wrong and I have trauma because I was molested before and I don't like when people touch me down there or near my chest. Is this normal?

I'm so glad you are reaching out to get some support with your concerns. It's completely understandable that you may be uncomfortable with physical exams after such experiences. Many women and men who have experienced sexual abuse have also expressed anxiety concerning physical examinations or procedures. It may be helpful to know that YOU always hold the control of your healthcare. You have the right to refuse or stop any examination or procedure. You also have the power to advocate for what you're more comfortable with. For example, you can let your doctor's office know that you would prefer to be examined by either a female or male health professional. You can also request that some one you trust is present during the examination to help you feel safe. It may be helpful to ask what will happen during the examination and the purposes behind it beforehand. You do not have to disclose your history of sexual abuse with your healthcare provider if you are not comfortable doing so. Stress-reduction techniques such as deep-breathing can help ease your anxiety before and during the exam. Additionally, it may be helpful to use "grounding" techniques during the exam to keep you in the present moment, such as focusing on different parts of the examination room (like the pictures or the wallpaper). This can keep you in the here-and-now if the exam is triggering memories of the abuse. You can find an article with more suggestions about ways to prepare for your exam here: http://www.cwhn.ca/en/node/42905

Although it may be difficult to speak up, asking questions about the exam can help you to feel more comfortable and gain a better sense of control over what happens to your body. Thank you for reaching out to 2NDFLOOR Youth Helpline! We are available 24/7 at 888-222-2228. You can also text us at the same number from 12pm to 8pm. Feel free to reach out if you need any more support!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Big Grin :D Mad :mad: Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Confused :confused: Smile :) Frown :( Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
    Working...
    X