Coping

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coping

So, I was in a car accident last year relatively close to about this time last year and it wasn't a bad accident at all (both parties were 100% unharmed & the accident wasn't even my fault) but it was rough on my family and my parents were extremely mad at me and I felt like they hated me and would never trust me again. It sent me into an entire Summer of crying and anxiety and what I'm almost positive was depression (although I've never seen anyone to actually diagnose me. My parents don't believe in mental illnesses like depression and anxiety and I don't really know any support groups nearby). So now, I was just in an accident the other day and I was in the passenger seat and my sister got rear ended in the car that I drive and even though it wasn't my fault at all or my sister's, I got a whole rush of memories and anxiety and I'm beginning to feel just as awful as I did last year. I really wanted to cut but I didn't and I wanted to be dead but I would never kill myself. But all of the awful and terrible memories from last year are coming back and they're literally making it hard for me to breathe. Sometimes I have to count my breaths and literally time my breathing just to stop gasping and to calm down. One of my friends saw the accident and called me to make sure that I was okay which was so sweet but the thing is, both now and last year, I never cared about whether I was okay after the accident. Like, for whatever reason, that always sounded like such a stupid question to me. I only cared about if the car was okay and how much my parents' insurance would go up and when/ if they would fix the car. My physical wellbeing wasn't even a question on my mind. I've never really cared about myself all too much. I don't even like driving anymore and I'm actually scared to get behind the wheel. Do you have any healthy coping ideas or ways to reach out to support groups or something? I just think it would really help me. Thank you

Thank you for reaching out to 2NDFLOOR. First off I need to tell you that if you are thinking of harming yourself you need to contact 911 right away or contact the suicide prevention lifeline at 1 (800) 273-8255. Self harm is not a good coping skill either for stress or anxiety so here are some support resources; Teen Self Injury at (800) 366-828 or www.self-injury.net and the Butterfly Project @ http://butterfly-project.tumblr.com/.
    It sounds like you are experiencing a lot of anxiety since your accident, but you did mention that you never really cared for your well being so this accident perhaps just accentuated your negative feelings you have.. accidents are scary but it seems that something more is possibly going on with you. If your parents are not open to you getting help then they might not be the right people to reach out to. Go to your school counselor or call the helpline we provided above, they can get you the help that you need. You don't have to continue to feel unimportant or anxious, because even if you can't see it right now there are people who care about you and your physical well being. Often times when you are in that space of sadness and anxiety it can be hard to see through it. You also mentioned your friends are supportive so talk to them, venting is a good coping strategy get out stress and move forward. Your deep breaths are a good coping skill as well so continue to use that when you get overwhelmed. Some others are exercise, it releases endorphins (the feel good chemical) so try to make that a habit, watching comedies are great- laughter is good, listen to music, journal, just find activities that you love. I do encourage you to talk to a professional about how you are feeling though because it really isn’t good to feel hopeless or like you want to end your life.
    Go to your school counselor tomorrow, explain how you are feeling and start the process of helping yourself. Remember there is treatment that can help you to not feel this way and professionals want to help you. If you need help finding ways to talk to people about how you are feeling we can help you too. Please do not hesitate to call 2NDFLOOR we are here 24/7 at 888-222-2228 or text us daily 4-8PM.
    Last edited by 2NDFLOOR; 06-14-2016, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Don't Give Up!

First of all, I think it is important to remember that there was a period of time that you felt better after the first car accident! That in itself shows you that it is possible to feel better and regain some of the normalcy you felt before the accident took place. I am so sorry that you got in another accident but am happy to hear you are safe! Please remain safe and seek help immediately so you don't cause yourself any harm. Speak to a trusted adult figure or your school counselor so they can help you get the help you need. It is very possible that there is an underlying issue going on that is presenting itself as anxiety related to your accidents. The first step in feeling better is identifying that something is wrong and the next step is reaching out for help which you have on this page. You are stronger than you know for having taken these steps and if you continue to take the steps you need you will begin to feel better and return to your normal self. I wish you the best of luck and applaud you for taking the first steps.

Comment

You are not alone. Anxiety and Depression are the strongest emotional dilemmas that a teenager can have. Coming from experience, I can tell you that Depression is not permanent. There is always a solution. For example, your hope is one of the greatest coping skills a person can have. That's the first step to recovering from Depression and Anxiety. If you need someone to talk to please contact 2NDFLOOR. Ask your family if they are really mad with you. Be yourself.

Comment

I'm so sorry about the situation you are currently going through. Personally, I believe that you should seek help from a friend or someone you trust. I think venting to someone will help you feel a little bit better and will calm you down. Another option would be to attend a youth group in your home church or any church that may have one. A youth group is a place where children and teens seek God or learn how to deal with certain situations. I think that you may be experiencing the early stages of post-traumatic stress disorder since you mentioned that you keep receiving flashbacks about the accident as well as breathing difficulties. Although you are dealing with stress you are handling the situation very well by doing breathing exercises. I want you to know that you are not alone. Things will get better so keep your head up and push through it. Problems are never permanent, they are temporary and soon enough, this will blow over.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          Frown :( Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Mad :mad: Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Confused :confused: Smile :) Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
          Working...
          X