Getting over a traumatic event

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting over a traumatic event

I was present for a very sad and traumatic event last January at college. This event has crossed my mind at least once a day since the day it happened, most of the time memories and nightmares coming back during times of stress and when I am around specific places that this happened. I avoid all places and things having to do with what happened. Even so, it's still hard to avoid all of them when I still am friends with one person who was present and dating another person who was there as well. They seem to be over it by now; I'm the only person that still feels this way. This issue was resolved, but I still can't seem to shake it. Is it possible to get over or forget such an event? Obviously, I wish it never happened but now that it has, I wish my body and mind would let me move on and allow me to shrug it off when I start to think about it. My motto has always been "the past is the past", but this event has shaken me to the core. I don't know where to go or who to turn to. I used to talk about it with my friends, but it seems like it is "old news" to them and that I should have moved on. In my family, I have always been seen as a strong person so I don't always feel comfortable letting my guard down about these things. I need resources, maybe a person to talk to that would know how to help me cope with such a situation, but I simply don't know where to go and trying to look for psychologists that help uninsured college students isn't easy. I'm lost and I'm ready to move on; it's almost been a year...

Getting over a traumatic event takes times, and it's different for every person. There is not a specific timeline that says "you should be over this by now". It takes time to process the event, and talking about it is a great way for this to happen. I would try talking to your friends about it. You could ask them how they moved forward or things that helped them. You can let them know that you're still having difficulty. Being the strong person in your family does not mean that you can't ask for help. Everyone needs someone to lean on at some point in their lives. Talk to your family about how you are feeling. As far as resources if you are a college student there is usually a counselor on campus that will provide services without insurance. If that's not available they may be able to provide you with names of people that do this as well. In the meantime if you want to talk 2NDFLOOR is available 24/7 to call and 4-8PM daily to text so you can reach out to us anytime to discuss this situation and any others. Our number is 888-222-2228. Don't hesitate to call or text us!

Comment

I know how you feel I'm a EMT and firefighter. I've been doing it since I was 16 I'm now 20. I use to have the mentality trying to be tough and hold in all the stuff that I've seen until one day what I saw and had to do pushed me over the edge and I just broke down after the call. What I've done to fix that was I have some one I can talk to and vent to when ever I need to and it's made a huge help being able to release all that stuff when ever I need to versus holding it in unit I crack. You don't need a professional person you just need some one who you can trust and who will listen. Best of luck to you with your problem.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      Stick Out Tongue :p Confused :confused: Smile :) Frown :( Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Mad :mad: Wink ;) Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
      Working...
      X