I feel like I made a bad decison

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I feel like I made a bad decison

After 4 years of hard work in high school and 2 years of college searching I was able to earn a 27 on my ACT and a fantastic GPA in addition to great times in track, as a result I was accepted into 14 colleges and 10 with merit aid making them affordable. In high school I felt like I was going through the motions of school and stressed out most of the time, with no real interest in what I was studying, however I applied to 14 LACS and only 2 colleges had my major, or hospitality management, out of those 2 schools, I was given the choice of a well regarded public university but however gave me no merit aid, or a small private university which gave me a lot of money, but I was far overqualified for. I wound up choosing the small private school since my parents and college counselor felt that a small school would be better for me due to my learning disabilities, and how I would need accommodations. They did not want to pay an extra $80,000 to send me to a big state school, where they felt it would be struggle for me due to large classes and difficulty with accommodations. I visited the small private school 2x and liked it, but after I sent in my deposit about a month ago, I have felt AWFUL about going there, since I was told by people that the school was "for slackers" and that it was "inappropriate for someone with my academic stats". It is ranked low on U.S. News, yet high on a few specific websites researching the field that I am studying. I now just feel TERRIBLE about going there and don't know what to do about it. I feel that I am trapped out of other opportunities that I had in life, because my parents say that if I get there and don't like it, the only other schools I can transfer to, are those that give me at least $10k in financial aid. I am scared that if I want to study anything else, I need to transfer colleges, and the only colleges that I may be able to get money from were originally safeties on my old list, since I feel that I am starting from the bottom, or a school that was EASY to get into when it comes to transferring. In addition to this, I looked it up, and you are "guaranteed acceptance into the program I am in from a local community college, if you simply have a 2.0 GPA" WHICH MAKES ME HATE GOING THERE AND FEEL THAT EVERYTHING I ACCOMPLISHED AND BROUGHT MYSELF TO IS NOW DESTROYED AND THAT I SHOULD GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. Only the major problem is I have to change majors to transfer since, my parents say no to the much more selective state university for a transfer, and there are really VERY few colleges that offer the program I am doing. The only ones that do other than where I am going are either much worse accademmically or they are in Big state schools, none of which are in my state, and to my parents means no. However I really just wish that I could go back in time and have chosen the other school, since on that day it was ok with my parents, but not great, but now they say absolutely no to a transfer, and I realistically cant get a loan for that money anyway. SO OVERALL I FEEL STUCK AND DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO AND WILL LIKELY END UP TRANSFERRING TO A BETTER SCHOOL, BARELY BEING ABLE TO PAY FOR IT, AND NOT STUDYING MY PASSION, BECAUSE THERE ARE NO COLLEGES THAT ARE A GOOD ENOUGH FIT. I FEEL LIKE EVERYTHING I EARNED IN HS IS NOW GONE AND MY HARD WORK IS RUINED!!!!

I can understand why you are feeling the way that you are, but you need to give yourself more credit. You worked really hard and just because a few people said that about your school does not make it true. The college you graduate from does not define you. Most schools, even Ivy leagues, tend to make it easier to transfer into programs. However, that doesn't make it less impressive that you got into the program, because it's clear that your grades were outstanding! Unfortunately we can't go back in time, which many of us wish that we could. There will be pros and cons of choosing any school it's what you make of it that matters. If this is what you want to study and there are few schools that have your major than maybe this school is the one for you. Try to worry less about rankings online and and what other people have to say. Since this is a smaller school they will probably be really helpful with internship and potential job opportunities because they get to focus more on individual needs. Many state schools are unable to do that. Give the program a try since you know you will at least be there for 1 semester. There could be lots of positives that you find. If you want to talk more give 2NDFLOOR Youth Helpline a call anytime at 888-222-2228 or text us any day 4-8PM at 908-280-0235.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Stick Out Tongue :p Confused :confused: Smile :) Frown :( Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Mad :mad: Wink ;) Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
    Working...
    X