Isolated

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isolated

I've been depressed for the past month and also I had a boyfriend that took up a lot of my time last year, so I feel like I pushed people away. One of my friends told me that I seemed very isolated and I used to be very meticulous with my social interactions and now I barely say hi to anyone largely due to my depression. He told me that someone told him that I had been pushing people away. I wasn't trying to push people away, how do I fix things so that I can get my friends and social life back?

I'm sorry to hear that you've been experiencing depression. It can be hard to break out of the cycle of isolation that it sounds like you may have fallen into, so give yourself some credit for wanting to make an effort. It's great that you're motivated to reconnect with your friends, as having and making new social connections can also help reduce some of your symptoms of depression. One of the most effective ways to reconnect with your friends may be to simply reach out to them. You can share with them as much as you are comfortable with about what you've been experiencing. Your friends might have an easier time understanding why you've been absent if explain some of the symptoms of your depression. It may be helpful to acknowledge that you know you haven't been present for a while, but that you'd like to spend some time together and catch up. Acknowledging and validating your friends' feelings of being "pushed away" can help them feel understood too. The most important part is putting yourself out there! Showing your friends that you are interested in spending time with them will mean a lot. After reaching out to them you can suggest some plans like going to the movies, the mall, or something they might enjoy. Thank you for reaching out to 2NDFLOOR Youth Helpline! You can always call or text us 24/7 at 888-222-2228 if you would like any further support.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Big Grin :D Mad :mad: Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Confused :confused: Smile :) Frown :( Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
    Working...
    X