Friend with Eating Disorder

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friend with Eating Disorder

I think my friend (9th Grade) may have an eating disorder. She has struggled with self image before and resorted to self harm, which she no longer participates in. Now, she eats only low-calorie fruits and vegetables, and has refused to eat even broccoli and apples on the basis of them having too many calories. She says that for the past week or so, she has been eating around 700 calories per day, and based on her descriptions, it sounds as if she is getting very few of the necessary nutrients to survive/stay healthy. She runs track, which concerns me because she probably requires more energy than the average person and is not getting that through her diet; she complains a lot about her lack of energy.going to a doctor and talking to him/her about it, but she says that she only cares about weight loss (she is already in the mid-low end of the acceptable weight range for her age, body type, etc.). When I tried to tell her that crash diets hardly ever lead to long term, sustainable weight loss anyway, she asserted that that claim is only a myth. She acknowledges that she has a problem, but does not want to tell her parents because they will make a big deal out of it. I want

I've tried to suggest healthier eating plans and the possibility of to support her and not make her feel alienated, but I also don't want to ignore this and let it turn into something worse.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I am sorry to hear your friend is having difficulties. She is lucky to have a friend like you to be there for her. It is important you let someone know what is going on with her before it gets even worse. You are correct to think it could get worse, she is hurting emotionally and she is now harming herself physically. She does need other supports in addition to you. Is there a counselor or teacher at school you could speak to, if you do not feel comfortable speaking to her parents?

Also, your friend might get upset that you let someone know, but in time she'll realize you told someone because of your concern for her. She will realize that you are her friend and you care about her and that's why you needed to get her help.

Here are some websites that you can look at and share with her about eating disorders: National Eating Disorder Association, www.nationaleatingdisorders.org. They also have a helpline number which you could call too and let them know about your friend. The number is 800-931-2237. Also, Something Fishy is a website that gives inforamtion and online support for eating disorders. The website is www.something-fishy.org. But most importantly, it is time to let an adult know about your friend. If you would like to talk about this or anything else. Please call 2NDFLOOR YOUTH HELPLINE 24/7 or text daily between 4-8 PM @ 888-222-2228. Good luck!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Confused :confused: Smile :) Frown :( Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Mad :mad: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
    Working...
    X