This topic is closed.
X
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bored with social circle

I have been friends with the same people since the beginning of high school, and I am now a senior. I was too busy to hang out much on the weekends last year, but now that I have some free time, I want to go out on Fridays and Saturdays. My friends are very introverted and prefer to spend time at home, or with their families. To be honest, as much as I do want to hang out with them, it is never that much fun, they never want to do anything much, and I find myself to be talking to much and overwhelming them. I talk to people in my classes and I guess class acquaintances or whatever you would call it and it never goes much past talking in class. I have tried inviting them out, and I am stuck at home this weekend, mainly because I don't have their phone numbers yet, and they said they may have time this weekend, but a lot of them were away on a field trip so they weren't in class, and I don't have any way to text them this weekend. I am going to mention it again on Monday and see if they want to do something, but I still find it awkward asking, since they are a year younger and already in their own social groups/ have time taken up with boyfriends ect. It is frustrating because I look on facebook and it looks like everyone is out having fun and knows everyone in the grade, and my group of friends are like their own introverted bubble. I terms of the other seniors, I play basketball, but all the other seniors except my friends have quit, so it is hard to get to know anyone in my year. In terms of classes, the seating is usually everyone sits in the same assigned seats all year, and its really hit or miss. Like in a few classes I fit well and have friends with the people I sit around, but only really talk to in class. But it is hard to get to know anyone else beside them since the teacher is always talking, besides short breaks. and In other classes, they are all close and have known each other forever and I feel excluded from the group? I just find that Is it appropriate to ask people I talk to in my classes to hang out? What do other people do to make friends with everyone that I am doing wrong? It looks like everyone in my grade knows everyone else, except us..how do you get to know others? Also all these people in my grade have boyfriends, and like how do they get them? Honestly, I sit in class an make conversation with the people around me, and I don't sit near any cute guys, or they aren;t interested...its just like what I am I doing wrong...

Hello! Thanks for posting on the 2nd Floor Message Board. Yours was a very insightful and sincere post! One thing you did not mention was how often you come to school events. You mentioned you play basketball but during the games you are competing, not sitting in the stands and getting social! A great way to meet others is to take advantage of every social outlet schools have to offer. Attend every game, band concert, choir concert, play, and any other event the school puts on that students can attend. The other thing to remember is that many kids in school don't have one friend, let alone several like you mention. Yes, they are introverts and you want something more, but never forget they are your friends and you are not alone. With only a half a year left in your high school career you may not get many chances to put these ideas to work. If you don't have time for this with the remaining months in high school, remember to become involved in many activities in your Freshman year at college so you get off on the right foot socially. Please call us at the 2nd Floor Help Line at 888-222-2228 to expand on the response to your post! Take care.

Sincerely,

2nd Floor
    Last edited by 2NDFLOOR; 01-25-2015, 03:28 PM.

Comment

While I appreciate the help in terms of getting involved, I find plays, games, and similar school functions as hard ways to get to know people. When people go to plays they are generally in their group of friends or out on a date, and it is not exactly the place to start talking to people you don't know. I will look into joining a few more clubs and seeing if that helps. I am also going to try on talking to people I don't know as well at practice, and see if that helps.

Comment

Great! Just to note it may absolutely be hard for you to get to know people at a specific event you attend, BUT you were there! You were there and now you have a conversation starter in school with someone else who was there. Even if you find it difficult to start conversations with people at these events, still try to attend because sometimes the conversation may come to you! Good luck and thanks again for posting on the 2nd Floor Message Board.

2nd Floor
        Last edited by 2NDFLOOR; 01-25-2015, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        Stick Out Tongue :p Confused :confused: Smile :) Frown :( Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Mad :mad: Wink ;) Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
        Working...
        X