Parents and therapy.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parents and therapy.

I just recently turned 17 and ever since I was in middle school or maybe even younger I've wanted to go to counciling, but now I am to the point where I want to try medication and counseling because I've been talking with my school therapist and I feel like I need more than that. However, my parents are strongly against me going to any kind of counseling because she thinks I'm being over dramatic and don't really have a problem. I've struggled with cutting, depression, anxiety, and an eating disorder. My school counselor unofficially diagnosed me but obviously she isn't a licsened doctor. I also got my friend who is a nurse to tell me the same thing. Everyone thinks I need help. And I know I do. There have been days when I couldn't get out of bed, days when all my mind has done is race back and fourth and I can't concentrate on Anything at all. Days where all I do is have painc attacks. I just can't take it and I don't know what to do. As soon as I'm 18 I'll speak to my doctor. But I don't know how to get by until then.

It is great that you reached out for help with this! Perhaps you can call your doctor now and see if they have any suggestions for you. You may even want to ask your school counselor to meet with you and your parents together. Since you seem to have a good relationship with your school counselor, maybe they can help advocate your needs to your parents. Is it possible that your parents just don't know how you are truly feeling? Perhaps if you told them about all of this, with the support of another adult, they would be more open about the idea of going to see a professional counselor. You can also try writing your parents a letter to express to them how you really are feeling. They may just not fully understand what you are going through. Check out the website www.selfinjury.com for information and call 2NDFLOOR anytime at 888-222-2228 for more help!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Frown :( Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Mad :mad: Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Confused :confused: Smile :) Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
    Working...
    X