Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoking pot

Hey 2ndfloor,
    So I caught my mom smoking pot. My older brother does it, too, so he wasn't so upset. But I was. My Mom began drinking after she was sober for a long time, and now she's smoking weed too?!? She promised she wouldn't do it again, but the very next day, she was out walking the dog for a REALLY long time. I'm talking like 45 mins. And it was weird, since it was like 11:00 and she never goes out that late. So then when she finally came back, she smelled like skunks (the scent of a skunk is equivalent to the sent of marijuana). I gave her a hug goodnight and whispered "you broke another promise." She gave me this hurt look and then shooed me away. We've been arguing about it for like week now because I feel so hurt. My physiatrist told her that I will need a "support team" since I still struggle with selfharm… but it's kinda hard to support someone when you're high...

Please help. I've tried everything; I've spoken to her about it, I've done research on the long-term use of pot, I've even asked my mom why she smokes and if she would like help on trying to stop. She just gets annoyed with me. And please don't tell me to call some abuse hotline or the police or something, because I do love my mom. And no, I can't attend any group therapy for people who have family who do drugs (I forget the name of that website but I've called before and they have me a website that wasn't helpful whatsoever). I just need some help on what to do, what could be a good way to help, how to speak to her, etc.

Thanks

The reason you are hearing about Al-Anon is because there is nothing YOU can do to help a loved one stop using drugs, except never enable them (which it does not sound like you are doing anyway). A person needs to decide on their own that they need to stop using, as your mom did the first time she got sober. The reason Al-Anon is there is because people in your position need support and help in dealing with their loved ones drug/alcohol use and they are capable of being a support team. You are not in control of her drug use, but you are in control of how you deal with it. As far as your mom, tell her you are there to help her in any way she needs to get help, tell her you love her (it's ok to tell her that you are angry/disappointed that she's using marijuana), but don't approve of her actions, and make sure you find a support system for yourself. Call us anytime at 888-222-2228.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Big Grin :D Mad :mad: Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Confused :confused: Smile :) Frown :( Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
    Working...
    X