My sister drinks alcohol and I don't know what to do about it

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My sister drinks alcohol and I don't know what to do about it

My sister is a year younger than me and she has been depressed for a couple months. She started taking antidepressants three months ago and seemed to be getting better very fast. However, school started a couple weeks ago and one day she told me she had forgotten to take her meds and got extremely depressed and drank some beer. I was upset, but I said that its ok if its one time and that she should always remember to take her meds. The, I caught her drinking beer another night. My mom is really picky about her sleep, so I decided not to wake her, but I said don't do it again, its so bad for you and its not the answer. I was actually planning to sort of bring it up with my mother and say, "why do you still have this beer - it's 2+ years and you don't drink it?" I forgot that day to tell her about it and just tonight caught her drinking beer. Side note: My mother only has 1 6pack (there were only three bottles though in this one) in the house. She isn't a big drinker at all (maybe 4 beers a year?). I don't know what to do. Also, it only just now occurred to me that meds and drinking due not go together and I got her to stop (I looked it up and thankfully its ok but it does make the depression worse). By the time, I see the reply I probably will have told my mother about the drinking, so keep that in mind. What should I do? I really don't want to betray my sister's trust but this cannot go on

I'm glad that you reached out to us. I understand that you are conflicted about telling your mother about what your sister has been doing, but you are doing it for her safety and health! I don't know how old either of you are but underage drinking is illegal and that can get your mother in trouble (so maybe that will ease your mind about telling). Your sister is very lucky to have you in her life, you really seem to look after her. However, you can not make your sister take her medicine or stop drinking that is something she will have to decide to do. You can continue to support and encourage but just know that the burden of her choices are not on your shoulders. I encourage you to talk to your mom about what is going and take it from there, it would be good for your sister to go back to her therapist and doctor who prescribed her medication as well. I hope this helps you and wish you luck, here is the link to Alcoholics Anonymous at www.aa.org if you think a meeting just in case.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Stick Out Tongue :p Confused :confused: Smile :) Frown :( Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Mad :mad: Wink ;) Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
    Working...
    X