I'm worried about another family get-together

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm worried about another family get-together

So my family is going on a small vacation for a few days, but I decided to stay home because of my social anxiety. My parents got mad (though I suspect it was more out of worry and disappointment than out of anger), and insist I go because "your problems aren't going to go away by just sitting at home."

I've had bad experiences at these things before, whether it be a vacation or just someone's birthday. I never feel comfortable enough to be myself or to have fun. And I even have anxiety attacks at times. So I don't see the point in going. But I don't want to keep going at it with my parents and I don't want things to be like this forever. Eventually, I want to feel comfortable around people, especially family members.

How should I go about this?

Social anxiety can be very difficult, so I completely understand feeling that way. Have you ever received professional help or seen a counselor? It may not be something that you will be able to overcome on your own. Many times we need an outlet where we can address these feelings and develop a treatment plan for the. I would talk to your family about trying to see someone if this is how you continue to feel. If you want to talk about this or any other issue you can call/text 2NDFLOOR Youth Helpline 24/7 at 888-222-2228.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Stick Out Tongue :p Confused :confused: Smile :) Frown :( Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Mad :mad: Wink ;) Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
    Working...
    X