Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My mom thinks i need to diet, exercise, thinks i am in denial, etc.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My mom thinks i need to diet, exercise, thinks i am in denial, etc.

Hi. For the past almost 2 years, i have gone through really tough times. i have seen two therapists, one who i am still currently seeing, but not all the time anymore. i was diagnosed with depression and severe anxiety by a psychiatrist about a year and a half ago. i love my mom and everything, but she doesnt understand.. anything. literally. she does not know how to handle situations because she gets either way too emotional and starts crying, or she fully overreacts. now. my weight has always been an issue for her. ever since i had my bat mitzvah 2 years ago, shes convinced that i have gained large amounts of weight and now i am in denial and i need professional help. now. 1. yes i have gained weight, but in these two years i have grown almost a half of a foot, and i have hit puberty (almost fully now). isnt this normal? i have higher cholesterol that i am working to go down, but that is in my genes! she is blaming me and telling me that she thinks im going to get diabetes, etc. i am so happy with how i look for the most part, but my mom is ALWAYS bringing me down. the only time i can think of when she is positive is when i seem to be losing weight. she always suggests that i eat less or drink more so i fill myself up. or she rolls her eyes when i try to show her new clothes. she always has a comment on everything. she thinks i have a double chin and thinks my face is fat, always says things about my stomach, and now she thinks i am in denial. she always reads bs articles and sees segments on tv about "motivational" people who lost weight. she always wants to tell me all about them or wants me to read/watch them. i tend to not believe what the internet or tv says because so many things about weight loss are unhealthy or scams. if i wanted to be motivated i would do it myself. she thinks the only reason i dont like watching these segments or reading these articles is because i hate how i look myself and i dont want to go through the trouble of getting healthier. this is so untrue! i try to love myself and i have been getting so much better (mentally) lately as i used to always be in my room alone in my bed, and i always used to cut myself. i have been so much happier lately but my mom seems to always bring me down. she always says how miserable i am and how bad i look in all the eyeliner and tshirts i wear. she is the one telling me i am depressed and that i have mood swings and that i need to be sent away somewhere. i have no idea why she says these things as i myself am perfecting sane and stable. is this bad that my mom is doing all of this? shouldnt be on my side no matter what? maybe she is trying to help me, but its making me get bad again.

Good for you for being happy with who you are and how you look. Too many times people go way overboard to be underweight that they make themselves sick and unhappy. If you are ever unsure of your weight and what is healthy vs. not healthy, just ask your doctor what they think at your next visit. They are probably a better judge of if you need to lose weight or not. Your Mom may have your best interest in her mind and heart, but at some point, she has to be told that you are happy with who you are and the things she is saying to you are making you upset and hurt. She may be concerned for your health as you say, but let a doctor be the one that says you are overweight and need to diet. If your doctor isn't concerned and you are healthy and happy as you are, then be that way. It is really awesome to hear someone that is happy with themselves for who they are instead of trying to conform to every cultural norm and don't let anyone (except a doctor) tell you that you need to change yourself (including a well meaning, but inappropriately acting mom) except for you. Call us anytime at 888-222-2228.

Comment

So how are you doing now? I am where you were with all the depression and self loathing ....the idea of loving myself seems gross but good for you if its still good

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      Frown :( Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Mad :mad: Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Confused :confused: Smile :) Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
      Working...
      X