my mom's depression is making me despressed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my mom's depression is making me despressed

So my mom wrote a grant (she's a bio professor who also does cancer research). She was denied the money to fund it. So, discouraged she re-wrote it. She was very worried that she wasn't going to get it the second time around. And with it grant its two strikes. There is no third try. My mom LOVES research. She hates teaching, the only thing she stays for is her research. She got her score back on tuesday and it was 4 points lower than it should have been. She is so depressed now. She's not going to have money for her research for the next three years. It's a huge deal. Not to mention the money loss. We usually get around $15000 more because of the grant and that helps us alot. Now my mom is a single parent. My dad and step-mom were verbally abusive and controlling. They bullied my mom as well as me and my sister. For the past couple days, my mother has been crying, yelling, and screaming. She is irritable and extremely depressed. I have had depression and anxiety issues of my own. Now I am extremely sad and done with life. My mom would never commit suicide as she would never leave us. Same with me. But, i can't control it. I hate seeing my mom like this. I can't take it. We can't afford a counselor right now, probably won't be able to for the next several months. Everything is just falling apart. I don't know what to do.

I am so sorry. My mom struggles with depression too. It will get better. Tell her you are proud of her and that she is a great mom. Sometimes things happen for a reason. Maybe she can use her experience with your Dad to help someone else. Turn lemons into lemonade. When one door closes, another opens. It is ok for her to be sad. Keep your chin up. It will be ok. She will get better. My mom had 20 major depressions. Hospitalizations. It will get better. She should see a doctor and take medication if the dr prescribes it. Keep telling her what a great mom she is. How proud you are of her for leaving your Dad and making the better choice for you. That was real hard. She is strong.

Comment

It sounds like you've been carrying the weight of the world on your shoulders recently. I'm so sorry to hear of the painful emotions you've been experiencing as a result of your mother's financial loss. Seeing those we love experience pain can be extremely difficult, as we may feel powerless to help. It also sounds as though you are worrying about your family making ends meet. While it may seem as though many circumstances are out of your control, you are taking control of helping yourself by sharing your experience and emotions. That's something to feel good about. The best way that you can help your mom is by reaching out for your own help, which you're already doing right now! Your mom would want you to receive support during a time where she may be unable to reassure you due to her own emotions. Speaking to your school counselor about your anxiety and sadness can put other trustworthy adults in a position to help you. Your school counselor can assist you in finding ways to regain control of your thoughts and emotions, despite the hardship your family is going through. The most reliable coping skills you can engage in may be things you already do, such as staying active and spending time with friends. Finding a way to channel your difficult emotions, whether through a creative hobby, exercise, or even journaling, can be effective in relieving stress. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you are in need of any further support, as we are available 24/7 via call or text at 888-222-2228. Thank you for contacting 2NDFLOOR Youth Helpline!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      Smile :) Frown :( Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Mad :mad: Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
      Working...
      X