Sister

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sister

Me and my sister have been not getting along for a long time. It's not like we hate eachother but it just seems like she's either my bestfriend or my worst enemy. We always get into arguments and fights. I've tried to get along with her and be nice but sometimes she makes me angry and she starts a fight. In the end it's always my fault and I'm the trouble child. All I want to do is be able to get along with her and be nice but she always ends up stealing my stuff, and picking fights. I love her but I'm just done fighting with her. It doesn't help that we're close in age because she fits into my clothes and she's constantly stealing my things. How do I control my anger and get along with her?

Sister

I am really sorry that you are going through such a difficult time with your sister. If it helps, many sisters may go through similar experiences for a time, but it usually gets better over time. You've said a few important, and positive things in your post: 1) you love your sister, and 2) you want to get along better with her. It may be helpful if you talk with her about your desire to improve your relationship and reduce your fights. Maybe the two of you can work it out together, since there are times when you do get along well. Believe it or not, a little conflict is actually good for you. Learning to work positively and respectfully through your differences, helps to develop good problem-solving skills, which you will need later in life.

You may also find some useful information at this site to help you: http://kidshealth.org/kid/feeling/ho...g_rivalry.html

Another thing you can try is to get your Mom or Dad involved. Perhaps, if the two of you take your problem to your parents, they can take a more active role in helping you two resolve problems in healthy ways. It's usually never only one person's fault.

If you'd like to talk about it further, please call 2NDFLOOR at 1-888-222-2228, at anytime. We'd be happy to talk with you.

Comment

The fact that you are able to admit that despite your hardships you love your sister and you are tired of arguing is great and something to be proud of. You said in the end it is always your fault because you're the "problem child" but I find that you reaching out for help is remarkably admirable and in fact the opposite of being problematic. I believe you asking for advice and guidance on different ways to help manage your anger is a step in a positive direction.

Have you tried expressing these feelings to your sister at a time when you were both in decent moods or getting along? Perhaps it would be helpful to discuss things when you aren't so angry or emotional toward each other.

Controlling your anger can be a difficult task but you're on the right track, because you understand this is a problem and you have reached out for help, so most definitely BE Proud OF yourself!

Some things that help me calm down when I am feeling angry is music, reading, writing, dancing, exercising, and meditating.

Good luck!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      Smile :) Frown :( Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Mad :mad: Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
      Working...
      X