No announcement yet.

Some privacy with friendships? Please?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some privacy with friendships? Please?

As I am getting help, my father knows about my depression and whatnot. So the other day, he asked me which ones of my friends were 'in a bad place' as well. Is it just me, or is that ALREADY over the line? I listed a few names...and he just goes 'Hm, well maybe you wanna stop being friends with them'. I'm sorry what?? He expects me to drop half of my friends, including my best friend because they have a mental illness?? No! I wish I had said something at the time, but I didn't. I've kinda been holding it all in. But some of my best friends have mental illnesses and we help each other. It's like he's trying to make it harder to talk to anybody but him. He really wants me to talk to him and I don't want to!

Well, I am glad you reached out to 2ndfloor and that you're getting help. Your father probably asked those questions because he is very concerned about you. He probably thinks if you hang out with people that are depressed it might bring you down also. You need to explain this to him, let him know that you and your friends support each other. Is there a time when both of you are calm that you can bring up the subject? Don't wait until he asks about your friends again, try to have the conversation with him before that. If you feel you can't talk to him about it, bring it up to your counselor and maybe the three of you could have the conversation. Your counselor can also bring up the fact that maybe you do not feel comfortable talking to him about certain things.
    I hope you will think about some of the suggestions. Please reach out to 2ndfloor by message board, texting or by phone. Texting is daily between 4-8 PM, 24/7 by phone- 888-222-2228.
    Good luck!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Stick Out Tongue :p Confused :confused: Smile :) Frown :( Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Mad :mad: Wink ;) Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
    Working...
    X