I feel like my family is falling apart

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I feel like my family is falling apart

I'm not sure when everything really began. Maybe it was 2 years ago, but I'm not sure. Over the past few years, I've had fights with my parents, mainly over stuff you would expect. But recently things have taken a turn for the worse. I'm 17 now (almost 18), and yet I would think that my parents would understand me at this point. Clearly not. I'll describe what happened tonight, since it is fairly standard and representative of what goes on.

I was looking forward to watching Saturday Night Live tonight since I was sure that they would have some amazing jokes about the recent events in the 2016 election. Then my mother got an email from my English teacher noting that I was missing 4 homework assignments and that if they were not turned in by Monday, I would receive 0 credit for them. I explained calmly to her that it wasn't a big deal and that I was aware of the issue and I was working on them. Instead of being normal and saying something along the lines of "good to hear. Make sure you get the assignment in," my mom went ballistic on me.

She literally said that I would have to finish at least some of the assignments to watch SNL. Except when, at 11:15, I had 2 of the assignments done, she went even more ballistic, demanding that I get ALL of the assignments done to watch SNL. The issue was, to finish the other 2 assignments, I would need a little over an hour (30 min to read, 20 min to answer one set of questions, 20 min to answer the other set). This would result in me missing all of SNL. When I explained this to her, she started screaming at me at how I'm a lazy person who does nothing but watch anime and track the 2016 election and the Ebola crisis (Ebola isn't what is used to be, so I'm no longer tracking the crisis). When I tried to explain to her that she's wrong and that I am quite motivated and work very hard on getting my homework done, she screamed at me even more and threatened to pull the cable card from our cable box.

In response to this, I calmly explained that if I were to watch SNL, it would allow me to de-stress and therefore be productive enough to complete my assignments. Instead, she grabbed my leg and proceeded to pull the cable card. Then she denied any wrongdoing and blamed the whole situation on my inability to do work.

While not officially diagnosed, I do think I've been depressed lately, though my parents don't acknowledge or accept this. In particular, I feel as if it's primarily due to the words and actions of my mother. I feel like she's bullying me. Now, I've been bullied all my life, since pre-K, so I've gained a fairly high tolerance for it. I've even had a teacher at school bully me (she unfortunately still has her job). Yet I've cried more because of how my mother treats me than all of the crying I've done as a result of all the other bullying I've faced. A few weeks ago, I considered suicide, and narrowly decided against it. She went on a 2-week business trip, but now she's back. I can tell that the emotions that will lead me back to that consideration are beginning to well up inside of me, but it's luckily not yet near that point.

I have lost 100% of my trust in my mother, and I'm literally debating whether or not to call 911 due to the degree of bullying I feel I have experienced. However, I found this site and I'm hoping that you folks might be able to help me navigate what to do. I'm posting here since I don't feel comfortable calling, especially since she's still up and about, and I'm scared that she'll barge into my room and scream at me (or even physically hurt me) if she hears me talking. I'm really unsure as to what to do at this point. I'm treated as if I'm subhuman and a threat to my family, even though I'm an upbeat, calm, caring person. Please help.

I am so sorry you are going through this now. It does sound like your mother is overreacting in this situation. Your mom is not going to change her ways. The only thing you can do is change yourself and the reactions you have toward her. If you know she'll freak out because your homework isn't done, maybe make sure your assignments are handed in on time. It is too bad you don't have your mom to go to for help, do you have other adults you can talk to when your upset? A teacher, counselor, or another relative that you feel comfortable with? How does your dad react when mom goes "ballistic"?
    If you do feel depressed, it is important that you speak with someone to get some help, especially if you considered suicide. Can you speak to your counselor at school? Sometimes just talking things through with someone helps and there is always family counseling too. It is important if you feel like you're going to hurt yourself to contact any one of the following numbers or check out their websites:
    Hope Center Hotline-800-784-2433 or www.hopeline.com
    National Suicide Prevention Lifeline- 800-273-8255 or www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
    American Foundation for Suicide- 888-333-2377 or www.afsp.org
    2NDFLOOR- 888-222-2228 or text everyday between 4-8 PM.
    Please know that there is always someone there to help and you don't have to feel this way.
    Please let someone help you.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Big Grin :D Mad :mad: Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Confused :confused: Smile :) Frown :( Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
    Working...
    X