not over him yet

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not over him yet

when I was 19, I dated someone (we'll call him D). It was to the point that we lived together for a while. I loved him, and we had a lot of wonderful times together - we had a lot in common, a lot of shared interests, quite a few mutual friends, and I loved every single moment of it.

It didn't last - D left me, and I found someone else (we'll call him T). I found him on the rebound (we started dating less than a month after D and I broke up), but I'm 21 now and two years later we're still together and I'm really happy with him (also important: we're in what is essentially an open relationship). We get on really well, we have a lot of the same interests and even mutual friends agree that we are super good for each other (one mutual friend who is really close to me recently told me that he can't wait to attend the wedding). As good as D and I were for each other, T and I are just as good (if not better).

The problem is that I'm not sure I'm fully over D. Sometimes I think about him, and I get really sad about what could have been. I think about what I did wrong and what I could have done differently to change what had happened (I know it was entirely my fault and I accept that). I'll do things that we used to do together (even something as innocent as lighting incense or getting the kind of takeout we used to get) and feel sad about what I've lost. Sometimes even when I'm drinking alone (and I know that's not something I should do) I'll feel down and I just want to call him, just to hear his voice.

I'm happy with T. We've had our road bumps but we've been together this long because we care about each other and we have consistently worked through the issues that couples typically go through. We respect each other (being in an open relationship, I can see other people and so can he - and we talk semi-openly about it), and we love each other. He makes me happy, and I miss him most of all when I get lonely. And most of all, he's told me how pretty I am, every single day since we've met, even if it's just over text message (I once mentioned to him how D stopped telling me I was pretty after a while, and T told me how much of a travesty it was that someone would feel so complacent in a relationship where they thought it was okay to stop telling me of all people that). I love T. I've even had the thought to propose to him (but I've restrained myself, because I know he isn't ready).

I just feel so awful. I have these wonderful feelings for T, I feel like something great can come of this; but I still feel like I lost something major when I lost D. After two years, I still miss what we had. I still cry about it. though T will do exactly the same things with me, shares most of the same interests... I miss doing those things with D. And I don't know what to do.

Sometimes even when we are in new relationships we think about the old ones, this is completely normal. There is always that chance that you aren't over him, however it also could do with lack of closure. If you feel like it was your fault that the relationship ended then thinking about what could have been makes sense. If you truly want to be with T try to process your feelings about D. If you need to contact him you can, or you could write a letter to him (you don't even have to send the letter). Sometimes it can feel better just to get what we need to say out. Next time you feel sad about something try and think about the thoughts you have during the situation. Is it that you miss him? Is it that you think there is something better for you out there? Maybe you just miss him as a friend? It can be hard to move on from relationships, but it makes it even more difficult when we continue to blame ourselves and focus on the past. You're relationships ended, but I guarantee you aren't the same person now as you were then. If you want to talk more call 2NDFLOOR Youth Helpline 24/7 or text us daily 4-8PM at 888-222-2228.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Confused :confused: Smile :) Frown :( Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Mad :mad: Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
    Working...
    X