Mom won't let me date..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mom won't let me date..

So I met a guy recently on Facebook. He's so sweet and caring. Him and I started developing feelings for each other. He told me how he felt and I felt the same, but we want to take things slow. He asked me out on a date. I asked my mom if I can go out with him because I can't leave the house without a valid explanation and she said no. I thought okay maybe get to know him more then ask again. I asked again and she was angry about it. I got very upset. I told her that I'm growing up and she needs to accept that. I get she still sees me as her little girl. She's raised me well though. I told her I am aware of my safety and if I don't like him then I will tell him nicely and not talk to him. Him and I Skype every night. Last night I got very upset because I can't see him. He told me not to cry and that I'm beautiful. He makes me very happy and I just want my mom to be happy for me. I'm afraid to talk to my counselor about this because she's always on my moms side. I get their both trying to protect me but I know what I'm doing. I'm old enough to date and being able to hang out with friends. I'm tired of being in the house every day and not doing anything but cry because I can't have my freedom.

Thanks so much for reaching out to us. Internet dating can always be a little bit tricky to navigate, especially in today's society where so much information is accessible online. It sounds like so far you are being very smart about your interactions with this guy from Facebook, and taking your time. Your mom's reluctance to let you meet him, is most likely just a side effect of her being concerned for your safety. Parents in general are usually very protective about their kids dating and when you add on the layer of internet dating, it can make parents a bit more protective than normal.

That being said, if you feel like you are really ready to meet this guy from Facebook, then it may be helpful to try and sit down and talk with your mom about your feelings. If you feel like you know how to be safe with online dating, I would recommend sharing with your mom how you are aware of the dangers, and some different safety mechanisms you may have in place to protect yourself. It may also help you to ask your mom why she may not be allowing you to meet this guy. If she is worried about you getting hurt, then you may want to try and ask her if she has any ideas on how you can stay safe, or maybe suggest that you come up with a safety plan together. By listening to your moms concerns and including her in your safety planning, she may be able to see how responsible you really are, and feel like you are appreciating her sense of concern as well. If you want to talk more feel free to call 2NDFLOOR anytime at 1-888-222-2228!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Big Grin :D Mad :mad: Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Confused :confused: Smile :) Frown :( Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
    Working...
    X