Homophobic Roommate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homophobic Roommate

I moved into my college dorm back in August of this year, shortly after coming out to the rest of my family and friends as bisexual (only my parents, brother and an extremely small handful of friends knew prior to this). But, a few weeks ago, my roommate said "that's gay" in response to something, but spelled out gay, because he "views it as a curse word." I don't feel safe rooming with him anymore, but I don't know how I should approach the university about getting a roommate switch.

I understand hearing that would make you feel uncomfortable with your roommate. Do you feel comfortable enough to ask him what he meant by that? If so, It might be that he is unaware that the language he is using is offensive, although he should but he might be ignorant to it (just a thought). I also do not mean for you to explain to him about your sexual orientation either, it is not his business. Just meant maybe to clarify if you want. If not, then go to the RA on the floor and ask to speak in private about your concerns, he or she should be able to point you in the direction of where to go from there about moving or switching. I wish you luck and hope that you are able to work it out. Just want to provide this link for you with resources as well, should you ever need other assistance or support @ https://www.2ndfloor.org/more-help/lgbtqi/. You can always contact us anytime too by texting or calling 888-222-2228, we are here 24/7.

Comment

Thank you. My campus is an inclusive campus, and the Episcopal church up the road is also an inclusive church. I'll try and talk to my RA soon

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      Mad :mad: Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Confused :confused: Smile :) Frown :( Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
      Working...
      X