Closeted

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closeted

I'm pansexual. I'd like to come out to my friends and family, but....
    1. what if they're homophobes and they stop caring about me or don't support my choices?
    2. what if they don't think pansexuality is valid?
    3. what if my friends act weird around me or start to think that I'm attracted to them?
    please help. I'm sexually confused and scared.

I can understand these concerns and hopefully we can give you some of the support that you need. There is always a chance that when we open up to people about our sexuality that they won't understand or they do not support us. However, think about your relationships with these people. Have they been there for you in the past? Has it been easy for you to talk to them about different things? Being scared and confused is normal. You can always start by opening up to one person who you feel the closest too and talk to them about your concerns to come out to other people. You could also check out http://lgbt.foundation/information-a...g-out-support/ for ideas on how to come out, for other support and information. If you want to talk more we are always here. You can call 2NDFLOOR Youth Helpline 24/7 or text us daily 4-8PM at 888-222-2228.

Comment

Support system

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I'm pansexual. I'd like to come out to my friends and family, but....
      1. what if they're homophobes and they stop caring about me or don't support my choices?
      2. what if they don't think pansexuality is valid?
      3. what if my friends act weird around me or start to think that I'm attracted to them?
      please help. I'm sexually confused and scared.
      One thing that can be really important and makes coming out much easier and safer is to build a support system for yourself. I started by immersing myself in the online queer community. Facebook pages like Have A Gay Day (my personal favorite) and Peter the Pan will let you meet other queer people online who have been in your same place. Next, you could try coming out to more distant family members (like a cool aunt or an older cousin) or a very close friend whom you think will be pretty likely to be accepting of you. These are people who can be there for you in person if you have a rough time when you come out to your family. Then you can try coming out to your family. It may be easier to come out to each family member individually. That way, if their reaction is negative, you won't have to deal with more than one upset person at any given time. you don't have to come out to all of your family members at once. I came out to my parents a year and a half before coming out to my brother, and I'm still not out to my sister and my extended family. For me, it seemed like a better idea to come out gradually. Even though it may seem nice to just come out all out once (like through a facebook post or family meeting), it can be very overwhelming and intense. But once you come out, it's like a weight is lifted off your shoulders, even if the person you come out to isn't supportive. My father is not supportive, but I'm so thankful I came out to him because now I don't have to feel like I'm lying to him anymore. Good luck!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      Mad :mad: Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Confused :confused: Smile :) Frown :( Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
      Working...
      X