I messed up school

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I messed up school

It started in 5th grade, during quarantine. I started feeling really depressed (I have therapy now) and missing classes and forgetting assignments. I had been doing an Algebra course to try and get into the top math class in middle school, but my math grade (which had been shaky earlier that year because the people I was seated with would harass me in front of the teacher and the teacher did not care about anything I said) instantly dropped, and I failed math. My grades came back okay, but not as good as they could have been. I’m in 6th grade middle school now and I’m trying to be as organized as possible, but it’s like I can’t do anything. The assignments should be really easy, but I keep getting bad grades. It takes really long to do the assignments, and I zone out and just stare into space half the time. I feel like there are butterflies in my stomache and my head’s at the bottom of a swimming pool. And since this started my sleep schedule’s gone wack. And now my highest grade is literally a B-. My parents are supportive and do their best to help me understand all the material and submit my assignments. I used to be able to multitask and do things easily. Can somebody tell me what might have happened and how to fix it?

I get it, I'm 16 btw. Sometimes in life it is hard to stay focused or do things that used to be really easy. I used to panic about similar school issues and I don't anymore but they still bring me a ton of stress. Just remember that it is okay and human to have these struggles. Even though it might be hard, ask for help. If its focus, maybe try different activity you like to build up your focus (like excersizing or journaling or meditating before or after you have to do them). Also, realize that it is best to ask for help. I always find that impossible but sometimes you just have to. Depending on who you are comfortable with or how comfortable you are with them, ask your parents, your teacher(s), or any other trusted adult. For other issues you can ask peers, but if you are struggling with school, I highly suggest sticking with adults. Hopefully this helps

Comment

I’m really glad to hear you’re getting support for your depression in therapy. It sounds like it must be really frustrating to go from multitasking easily to having difficulty focusing and struggling to keep up with your assignments. Considering the context of your experience can be helpful in having compassion and understanding for yourself, which you absolutely deserve. It’s noteworthy you mention these difficulties began in quarantine, which makes absolute sense. You, as well as all other students, have been forced to adjust to the frightening and uncertain reality of a global pandemic. Navigating this new reality has come with many changes to our daily routines and interactions with others, which in turn challenges our sense of stability and security in the world. Your feelings of depression (and what also sounds like anxiety) are an understandable response to these significant life stressors. Symptoms of depression/anxiety can include difficulty focusing and memory impairments, which may lead to a decline in academic performance. You are by no means alone in seeing your grades take a hit during quarantine and beyond. Many students are struggling with your exact same experience, and understandably so!

It sounds like you’re working really hard and doing your absolute best to succeed academically, which is more than enough. From what you describe, your parents seem understanding and supportive of how tough this has been for you. Please also allow yourself some compassion when you find yourself experiencing these difficulties. You’re doing the best you can with the tools you have and you are not alone! You’re actually doing all the right things to help yourself by participating in therapy and reaching out here. I know it’s frustrating, but it can take some time to for things to start to feel better. Don’t give up, even when it feels like you’re not making progress. You’re doing a great job! If you’d like to talk more about this, please feel free to contact us 24/7 at 888-222-2228 via call or text. Thank you for reaching out to 2NDFLOOR Youth Helpline!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      Stick Out Tongue :p Confused :confused: Smile :) Frown :( Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Mad :mad: Wink ;) Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
      Working...
      X