Understanding math but getting poor grades

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Understanding math but getting poor grades

I took Geometry A last year and got 100% for the year, so my teacher recommended that I move up a level. I'm taking Functions H now (the honors version of Algebra II) and am struggling. I work hard in class everyday, do not only the required homework problems but all of the ones the teacher recommends, and feel like I am able to do the problems quickly and correctly in class. But when I take tests, I often run out of time and don't get to finish problems, so I get a lot of Bs and Cs. I've heard that most people who do well in geometry struggle in functions and vice versa, but I don't want to just accept my 85% average as the best I'm capable of. It's especially frustrating because I never really enjoyed math before this year and now I love it. Do you have any advice for how to do better in math? Thanks!

Well I have to commend you for trying so hard and putting in your all. Do you realize that an honors class is worth more when calculating your GPA. So you might not see the higher grade on your report card but at the end of the year when your final average is inputted, it will calculate higher. Also, colleges like to see students challenge themselves. They would rather see an 85 in an honors class then a 95 in a regular class.
    Have you spoken to your teacher about extra help? Maybe you could seek help after school. It could help. It is understandable that you are frustrated, but there are so many different types of math, some you do well at and some you don't. Don't beat yourself up. Just push yourself and move forward and know that you're lucky that you do well in math. Lots of people do not.
    Please reach out to 2ndfloor if you have any additional questions or concerns. We are here 24/7 by text, phone, or message board.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Big Grin :D Mad :mad: Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Confused :confused: Smile :) Frown :( Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
    Working...
    X