I made a mistake and changed my mind yet I cant fix it

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I made a mistake and changed my mind yet I cant fix it

when I was a senior in High School, I felt really driven towards a specific field, and I had really enjoyed an internship in it. I didn't know where to go to college, and I knew that with a BA in that major, I had a 100 percent chance of liking the job, and that the college I chose had a 100 percent job placement rate for my specific major. I wasn't allowed to do another major for my BA, (business), and the only other field that I thought that I would be interested in was psychology, and I knew that a BA in psyc was worthless, without at least a masters in the field, and my family didnt have any money saved for grad school. I overestimated the cost of a graduate education, since I was only 18, and my parents weren't straight forward with me about it. I also knew that I could save to get an MBA, so I did what made the most sense to me at the time. There were very few schools in my major (journalismand only a small number of small schools. I chose a not very competitive college, when I had gotten into much much better ones, because I had at the time had such a passion for that field, and it was the only small school for that major, and very affordable. Since making that decision I have found out a lot more information. While there are a lot of jobs in my field very few of them a high paying. While we do have a 100% employment rate, many of our graduates are only working in 4th tier positions making a low salary. While the staff is friendly, the head of our department couldn't pass algebra one. I have been at the school for a semester, and the work has been far too easy for me. I am the top 5% of the SAT range, and the work can really feel like a joke to me. They are constantly giving meaningless extra credit, and they don't even care if students turn assignments in on time. A lot of students don't try, and our school only has a 45 percent graduation rate. These are the people that I will soon be relying on as an alumni network. I want to go to a better and harder college, because I feel like I will have a much better future if I do, however doing that would involve changing majors, because the only other schools for my major are big state schools. My parents aren't listening to me, "they don't think that I will like business, and they don't want me in a job I hate" I told them that if I hate it, I can always save and get a masters in something else since I will be making good money. They say that we spent "2 years visiting colleges and deciding and they aren't going to revisit it again AT ALL". I feel like its really unfair. I worked hard to get my grades in high school, and proved that I could handle a much harder and better college, and I told them that I would do almost all the work towards getting into better colleges myself, except I might need some help with a few things like driving places, since I don't have a car. I have sent them articles about why it is important to go to a good college, and why my school isn't fitting my goals, and they don't listen. they say that they think I wont like any other field as much, and I need to stay where I am. I did everything I could to have the best future I could why aren't my parents respecting me?

This is a tough one because you are battling with your own perspective vs your parents. They may not be respecting your wishes because you did spend 2 years visiting colleges so they probably feel they gave you plenty of time to make the best choice. If this situation and decision is completely in your parents hands then it may be one of those things that you are just going to have to let go especially if you have 0 control over it. If this is the case you are going to have to push through and make the best of it. If you don't you will be miserable all the time and that is not the way to spend the next few years. It sounds like you have tried to make your point with your parents in many ways and nothing seems to make them think twice about agreeing. Sometimes you have to believe that everything happens for a reason, but that reason you may not find until later on. If you would like to talk about this further please give us a call at the 2NDFLOOR Youth Helpline at 888-222-2228. We are here 24/7. You can also text us daily between 4pm and 8pm. Good luck!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Big Grin :D Mad :mad: Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Confused :confused: Smile :) Frown :( Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
    Working...
    X