Advice please?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice please?

Today at school was a very difficult one. Not just for myself but for the entire school. This is because sadly a girl from year 10 was killed by a lorry on her way to school this morning. Pretty much the entire school is in shock and are devastated, she was only 14. I feel these next few weeks and maybe even months will be very hard. Though I didn't know the girl personally, the school has lost a pupil in a very cruel and sudden way. I was wondering if you have any advice on how to handle this for both myself and friends. Some of which saw the accident and aftermath in its entirety. As I said, it is not as though I have lost a close friend or even someone I knew, but the atmosphere around school changed within seconds after we learnt she had died, making it very hard to continue the day. Furthermore, it has been a reminder that one day we all shall die, and though we have planned that shopping trip for the weekend, or we've planned to go on holiday in summer none of it is garuanteed. I have dealt with death before (of relatives) however I feel this is completely different due to the sheer scale and volume of sadness that has been felt throughout the school. Lastly I am in year 13, so i'm not even in the same year group, however some advice would be greatly appreciated.

What a difficult time for you and your school. It really doesn't matter that you didn't know her personally, having an unexpected loss like this can be very difficult. Sometimes a school will offer counseling to the students when a traumatic loss has occurred. If you aren't sure if this is happening at your school, meet with a guidance counselor and ask if they are offering anything. You are right that the school will likely seem different for awhile as everyone goes through their grieving process. But likely over time you will start to see things returning mostly to how their were prior to this accident. It is a great reminder, as you point out, that nothing is guaranteed in life and to take time to do the things you enjoy and spend time with the people you love. Finally, here is some information about Teens Grieving in School that I thought might be helpful to you:
    http://www.griefspeaks.com/id36.html
    You might also find some of the other articles on that website helpful as well. If you or any of your mates need to talk, just call us at 888-222-2228 or text us at that same number between 4pm-8pm daily.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Stick Out Tongue :p Confused :confused: Smile :) Frown :( Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Mad :mad: Wink ;) Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
    Working...
    X