I hate the way school teaches.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate the way school teaches.

I'm a sophomore in Highschool, and I detest the way that school teaches.

I have been skipping English class because I failed to complete an essay that was due on Monday. I didn't want to do the essay, and I don't have the guts to just tell my teacher that.
    Here is a piece of writing I wrote for the past few days during what should have been English class.

This writing is about my feelings toward school/education.

Hello I'm writing this as an attempt to vent my feelings. There are so many bundled up inside. I wish to sleep: to forget about all that troubles me. To create a piece, a blank canvas without all the different colors of paint battling and fighting to take over the white that is my mind. The creatures. They have a home; inside the minds that are their own. But they want more. No wonder they are so many problems. It is one's natural instinct to fight for more, but one must realize the greater good for all. One must fight not for what is his. One must fight not at all. When he is forced to fight, some humanity is lost in a lesser man. When a lie is necessary to fight, all humanity is lost in a lesser man. The lesser man is in abundance in this current, world so much so that the greater man who is forced to fight is disgraced and lost in the sea of inhumanity.
    Damage a bird's wings; he cannot fly.
    Damage her bird's neck; he cannot sing.
    Damage a bird's heart; he cannot beat.
    Hey, I'm back after about a day of uncertainty in my life. I can tell that what I have been doing is seen as creating a huge problem, but I know that I'm only trying to avoid a problem. It is this problem, and others like it that are created in the first place by the lesser man.
    So we were taught by reading about conformity. I will not conform to a society wants me to be, and I will prove that I do not need to follow society's footsteps to succeed. There are paths created by these lesser men that induce regret, that creates a futile reason to want to go back; to change something. I'm here to create my own path.
    I may be seen as someone-something that I am not, and if I am, let it be so. I only wish to serve to show the world how to be more independent. Instead of society pouring you into a mold and letting you dry, I wish to show how to be independent.

I've been suffering depression because of school. Not because of friends, or bullying, or anything else. Just school work.

I'm ready to drop out of school, and educate myself.
    As soon as I drop out, I'll take the GED exam so I get my High School Diploma equivalent.
    A few months after that, I'll be ready, after studying, for the SAT.

After getting my results back, I'll apply to some colleges. (I'm not sure what I'll be majoring in yet, but I'll have some free time to decide of course with time waster- excuse me, school out of the way.

Thank you for your post. I can see that you enjoy writing which is a great way to get those negative emotions that you are feeling out. Please keep in mind that if you are depressed about school only because of the school work dropping out will not fix the problem especially since you eventually want to go to college. Unfortunately the type of work that you do in high school is similar to what you will do is college. Maybe you should think about doing something more hands-on like a trade school or a vocational school instead of college which is more academically based. I advise you to go to your guidance counselor who can better assist you with more information about this. You can also call us anytime here at 2NDFLOOR at 1-888-222-2228. Good luck!

Comment

I don't think you understood what I meant I'm having problems with.

I didn't do the essay because I don't enjoy English (at least the way it's taught here) and I'd rather learn about language arts through reading optional books and writing optional essays because it's not something I'm particularly interested in.

I don't like the ways school educates because I am learning things I do not enjoy learning about. I would rather not spend my time with Chemistry or Language Arts because I have no desire to ever be in one of those fields in the future.

In College, I will be pursing something of the "White-collar worker" sorts. Vocational/Trade schools won't help me particularly here. I'll be happy to do the same type of work in college that I am doing now in High School, but with more freedom and the choice to chose what classes I take.

So with this, you might be able to see how my plan will work. I will educate myself on all the things I am learning right now in High School, but at my own pace, level, and liking after I drop out. (And please don't question my ability to educate myself)

TLDR: Your post didn't help me with my depression so far =[

Comment

It just sounds like you only want to do the things you enjoy doing and not what the school is requiring you to do. Most schools have similar requirements for graduation, but maybe there are other alternative schools in your area that may be more your style. Have you attempted to speak with anyone in your school about how you're feeling? Your English teacher or a guidance counselor might know more about alternative programs or schools in your area. You are right that in college there is a bit more freedom in picking what you want to do, but there still is a general education section where you have to take certain classes in order to graduate. At the end of the day, you have to make the choices that you think are right for you. Dropping out of school is typically not a great idea as it makes pursuing your other goals a bit more difficult, but that is where your decision making comes into play. Depression is something that is best treated through mental health counseling. Again, your school probably knows of some low cost or even free counseling in your area. Check it out and see what you think. You can text us Friday nights at 908-280-0235.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          It just sounds like you only want to do the things you enjoy doing and not what the school is requiring you to do. Most schools have similar requirements for graduation, but maybe there are other alternative schools in your area that may be more your style. Have you attempted to speak with anyone in your school about how you're feeling? Your English teacher or a guidance counselor might know more about alternative programs or schools in your area. You are right that in college there is a bit more freedom in picking what you want to do, but there still is a general education section where you have to take certain classes in order to graduate. At the end of the day, you have to make the choices that you think are right for you. Dropping out of school is typically not a great idea as it makes pursuing your other goals a bit more difficult, but that is where your decision making comes into play. Depression is something that is best treated through mental health counseling. Again, your school probably knows of some low cost or even free counseling in your area. Check it out and see what you think. You can text us Friday nights at 908-280-0235.
          I have checked out an alternate school nearby and my mom and I went to an open house.

She told me there was no chance I would go to something like that, not only because we couldn't afford it, but also because "I have to graduate high school."

My mom has called a psychologist for my depression, but he hasn't called back (it's been like 5 days.)
          Even if counseling does help somewhat with my depression, I will still suffer from it.

I guess I'll just need to be depressed for another 2 1/2 years until I'm done with high school English and other classes because no counselor will be able to get me to enjoy doing something I don't. It's like trying to fit a square peg through a round hole.

Comment

Going to see a psychologist would be very helpful. If that psychologist has not called back in 5 days maybe your Mother can try calling some others that way you can get in sooner to see someone. A psychologist can give you all different options of how to cope with your depression and help you with all the concerns you may have; also they may have different ideas about the schooling issues you are having and hopefully that will help with how you are feeling. You can always give us a call at 2NDFLOOR @ 888-222-2228, we are here to help as well!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            Big Grin :D Mad :mad: Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Confused :confused: Smile :) Frown :( Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
            Working...
            X