overdue diagnosis?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overdue diagnosis?

So, let us start off with the fact that I am 17, going on 18. I will be 18 in under a month. So, the fact that this is coming up now, when I am almost a legal adult is odd. Basically, I was talking with my psychiatrist recently, and randomly, out of nowhere, she brings up that I seldom make eye contact with her and asks if anyone else has ever pointed that out to me. I replied saying that, yes, many other people have pointed that out to me, including former therapists and psychiatrists. My psychiatrist then proceeds to tell me that she strongly suspects I have autistic spectrum disorder. This took my aback, and was very shocked to hear her say this. I am not saying that there is anything wrong with people that have autistic spectrum disorder, I know a few people with it and they are honestly some of the nicest people ever (and I may have a crush on one of them, but that is besides the point). It is just... unusual to me. This is not my first psychiatrist, and the first one I ever had, tested me for many things. While there is not specific test for Autism that she performed, she performed many that included the symptoms of Autistic Spectrum disorder, and when she gathered the results, she believed I did not have Autistic spectrum disorder. She was very adamant about it and was willing to wager her career on it. In addition, my mother says she remember as a child, I was rather extroverted and made a habit of going out of my way to talk to new people and make lots of friends. I am aware that being shy is not the be all end all to Autistic Spectrum Disorder, but it is unusual. I am aware that it is possible to be diagnosed with autistic spectrum disorder, but I feel so much lines up against it. The reasons my current psychiatrist suggests Autistic Spectrum disorder is because of: my lack of eye contact, my inability to detect facial expressions (though my psychology teacher said that is normal for teenagers), and inability to detect social cues, a below average level of empathy (which I find odd, because most of the people I know with Autistic Spectrum Disorder actually experience a lot of empathy), and a tendency to withdraw and isolate myself. I am aware that this message board is not a diagnostic tool. I just want suggestions on what to do. I believe that there is a good case against it, but at the same time, it is not an open and shut case. There are some points on either side. I really just want to know what I should do. Should I be retested? Take her word for it? Explain why I do not believe I have Autistic Spectrum Disorder? I just want to know what I should do.

Absolutely talk it out with your psychiatrist and have him or her explain to you the results and let them know how you feel about it. It also is important for you to get a 2nd opinion with any results from a test from a doctor. Glad to hear that you have your mom to support you through this process, so just keep communicating through this process. I hope this helps you and if you want to talk about this further or anything else give us a call or text anytime at 888-222-2228.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Stick Out Tongue :p Confused :confused: Smile :) Frown :( Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Mad :mad: Wink ;) Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
    Working...
    X