New job

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New job

I will be starting a new job as paraprofessional with speicial needs children, and I'm so anxious about how others will percieve me professionally.

All my coworkers will be like in their 30s, 40s, and I just turned 20. On top of all that, I look really young with my height and baby face. Seriously, many people and every doctor initially thinks I'm underage and don't let me sign my papers until I say something because they thought I'm young without looking at my papers to see I'm 20.

One time I was "strongly suggested to resign" because I was really timied and told I look really young; that's when I was 17. It seems like how you appear really dictates how other's percieve your level of experience. everytime I started associating it with feeling like others are undermining my skills and abilities, and till today it makes me feel self-concious.

It's hard to feel like I can establish this "in charge persona", because I'm quite timid - ya know? That along with me looking like 14 years old, it feels like I'm not an "employee", rather a child impersonating an adult. I feel patronized and belittled. Idk... I hope this makes sense.

Thanks for reaching out to 2ndfloor. While you may look younger, you have to focus on the fact that you met the qualifications to get the job. At this point, you need to focus your energy on the job requirements and assigned duties. As you perform your tasks well, you will earn colleagues respect. In regards to the students, you need to conduct your self in a professional manner and make sure they see you as an adult and professional. Lastly, maintaining healthy boundaries with the students as you can be friendly but are still a professional. You will have to give this a little time until you get understand the culture of the school. Make sure you know who to ask for guidance and who you will h be e giving you support. Join any training so you can better equip to do your tasks. If you have any questions, you are welcome to call us at 888-222-2228. Thank for contacting 2ndfloor. We are here 24/7. If you have any questions, you are welcome to call or text us at 888-222-2228.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Frown :( Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Mad :mad: Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Confused :confused: Smile :) Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
    Working...
    X