Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This one law...

So... Something really upset me today.
    background on me: I am 18 years old, moving to college dorming, in the fall. Though I've been hospitalized this spring from what turned out to be bipolar depression and cultural clash between me and my family and finding tbe way they deal with such issues shitty, through all intakes, I've lied about my thoughts of hurting myself. Now let me explain...In my religion, its STRICTLY PROHIBITED TO COMMIT SUICIDE. AND DEATH DOES NOT EQUAL PEACE. So i never wanted to kill myself. But i definitely wanted to get "hurt", and i use to cut....
    then I stopped through will.
    What was i going to get out of honesty? Be treated like prisoner and be labeled and generalized?
    had I not lied, my parents would have gotten notified. I have typical stereotypical authoritarian, mean, arab parents that are full of defense mechanism and not coping skills.
    my family dynamic is different.
    My point is, my fear is to feel alone and misunderstood (since im a minority in terms of islamic beliefs) in college if I do relapse.
    it says on my college website

"If there is evidence of clear and imminent danger of harm to self and/or others, a therapist is legally required to report this information to the authorities responsible for ensuring safety. This may include other campus offices, parents, the local hospital, or, in rare instance, Public Safety or the local police department. Reasonable efforts will be made to inform you if such information is to be released."
    it sucks when the intention is to help, but everything is literally aimed at creating more issues for me given my situations at home that is the SOLE REASON FOR MOVING OUT . Itll be like feeding me poison to strengthen me and to give me nutrition.
    i understand it may be for safety, but again, if i promise suicide is not even a choice?
    then whu should I put myself in a bad situation when its all hypocrisy.
    its like can you literally contact anyone but my parents? Hospital, police, etc?

It bothers me my parents have such rights even at 18 when they've caused this battle and we have a language ans communication barrier.

hi there. i understand how this can be frustrating; perhaps it might help to speak with the counselor on campus and have this policy clarified. who the school can contact in the event of a crisis or emergency might depend on who you list as an emergency contact, etc. glad to hear that you do not have intentions to end your life, but it must be tough to battle these feelings and urges to self-harm. you may want to consider therapeutic services outside of school if you would not like your school or parents to be involved at this point. if you would like to discuss further please call or text to speak with a support counselor here at 2ndfloor 24/7 at 888-222-2228.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Mad :mad: Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Confused :confused: Smile :) Frown :( Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
    Working...
    X