Anxious About Everything

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anxious About Everything

I'm at the end of 8th grade and graduation is coming up and I'm extremely nervous. I have a lot anxiety issues and it makes life so much more difficult. I told my mom that I didn't want to go to the ceremony (and the dance afterwards) and she said that she wants me to go because I might feel bad if I didn't. I don't want to for lots of reasons, but mostly being embarrassed (for anything/everything- I know it's stupid), and I feel like I'll be kind of left out by my friends because they will want to take pictures together and I hate myself which makes me hate pictures of myself which my friends feel annoyed about. Also I'm not a fan of going out and shopping for a dress and nice shoes. It all just stresses me out and I get so worried about if it looks bad or what other people will say or how they will react. Also my mom can't come to my graduation... so that's something. If I go, I'll just be very uncomfortable and lonely and will kind of hate every second of it. If I don't go, I'll feel left out but I won't have to worry about going shopping and people looking at me. I really don't know what to do and it's giving me a lot of anxiety.

One more thing, I received a letter saying that I won an award for school and I have to get dressed nice for the award ceremony. I can't really back out of this one because it's during school and parents and people are supposed to come. I have to stand up on stage in front of my whole grade and teachers and other people. I'm really happy that I won an award but it's just the downfall of all of it.

I am so happy you contacted 2ndFloor, we are always here to help. Well, first of all congratulations for your award! You should be very proud of yourself. You did mention that you are very anxious. Do you see a counselor or therapist for your anxiety? If not, that might help you cope with all of these feelings you are having. I understand you feel self conscious but I am sure you are not the only one. There will be many students receiving awards and they all have to get up in front of everyone. There are not too many people that enjoy doing that. So, when you go to get your award just focus on the person giving you the award and try not to think about who is in the audience.
    As far as graduation goes, you might feel upset afterwards if you don't attend. You must be a good student if you are receiving an award so I am sure your friends, teachers and the administration would want you there too.
    As far as getting dressed up, it's OK not to like it, and I'm sure that many people feel uncomfortable being all dressed up to. It is just something that is expected when we celebrate certain things. Most teenagers are worried about what they look like dressed up but to be honest, they are mostly concerned with themselves and usually don't pay attention to other people. Maybe choose a close friend to go shopping with in order to get another opinion. Remember to take a deep breathe, it is not the end of the world. It is only one night of your life. Try to keep things in perspective.
    If you would like to contact 2ndFloor to discuss this or anything else, please don't hesitate to call 24/7, 888-222-2228 or text daily between 4-8 PM to the same number. Good luck and remember try to have fun!

Comment

Hi it's me again. So I haven't made a decision yet and I need to turn in a form by tomorrow saying if I am going or not. My parents really really want me to go and have been talking and trying to convince me to go. But here's the thing, I want to go but I can't. I want to have fun, I want to be there, I want to graduate. But the other part of my mind is saying I can't. I don't know what to do anymore. If I don't go, then I will disappoint everyone, especially my parents, and I can't live with that. But my mind won't will me to go. I don't know how to explain to my parents this. They don't and most likely can't understand how I feel and my social anxiety. I'm just at a fork in the road and I need help.

Comment

Social anxiety can be a really scary thing. It can feel very overwhelming so I can understand not wanting to partake in this event. However, try not to think about how other people will feel think about how you will feel. Will you be upset if you miss this moment? Would you go if you thought you wouldn't feel socially anxious? What coping skills work for you? Sometimes it can be helpful to think of it from a different perspective. "This is only a few minutes of my life and then I'm done!" Or "I should be really proud of myself what an accomplishment!" You have to do what works best for you. Talk to your family. Talk to your friends. Explain how you are feeling. As far as long term help, have you considered going to talk to a counselor? This could help with your social anxiety so you are better able to cope with these nervous moment. If you want to talk more please call 2NDFLOOR Youth Helpline 24/7 or text us daily 4-8PM at 888-222-2228.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        Big Grin :D Mad :mad: Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Confused :confused: Smile :) Frown :( Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
        Working...
        X