This topic is closed.
X
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Responding to Beggars

I am a teen currently living in the suburbs, but I intend to move to the city within the next few years. I travel to urban areas pretty often, and when I do, it's nearly impossible to miss the beggars and panhandlers who approach asking for money. I want to be compassionate and give them what they need, but I know that some people use the money they gather to support drug addictions, which I do not want to contribute to. I am tempted to talk to beggars and offer them a sense of companionship, but I know that this could put me at risk for attacks and theft (as a short-statured, young-faced girl, I look like an especially easy target.)

Should I offer goods (food, blankets, basic necessities) as an alternative to money? Should I gently explain why I can't help? These are difficult situations to navigate, especially since I know that nothing I can offer will fix underlying issues like poverty, addiction, and homelessness. What advice do you have for responding to beggars intelligently and humanely?

These are all valid concerns and questions that many people have had in these situations. It's hard to tell you the best approach, because as you mentioned there is always the possibility that you could be targeted or taken advantage of. It may be different each time someone approaches you. If you feel comfortable and you want to offer something else in return that is up to you, but a very common response is "I'm sorry I don't have any cash". I would be careful if you chose to offer them a sense of companionship, because I cannot speak for every homeless individual out there. Many of them are kind, but others could become violent. It is important to be aware of your surroundings. It's great that you have such concern and compassion for people, but you also need to take care of yourself and protect yourself. If you choose to offer help I would make sure you are in a public place and not late at night. It's always better to be safe in situations like this, because they can be unpredictable. If you want to talk more call 2NDFLOOR Youth Helpline 24/7 or text us daily 4-8PM at 888-222-2228.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Confused :confused: Smile :) Frown :( Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Mad :mad: Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
    Working...
    X