Painfully Shy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painfully Shy

Through my life I never really labeled myself as shy, but that was because I grew up around the same people. I lived in a small town and I always had my friends with me so I never really had the need to meet new people. Now that I'm in college, I'm finding that I'm EXTREMELY shy and it's really bothering me. It get super nervous and anxious to talk to new people and it's putting a hinderance on my college experience because I don't really have any new friends. I have a few friends from high school that go to my college that I will hang out with occasionally, but I'm feeling left out because I want to be able to branch out and make my own new friends. But talking to new people makes my voice shake, my face turns red, I get all sweaty and I just can't bring myself to start conversations with people. I tell myself "just go for it" but the words don't come out. How can I get over this? I really want to make new friends. Also the thought of trying to join a club or something makes me nauseous idk I just am having such a hard time bringing myself to do it. If I am with somebody and they introduce me to someone new then I'm usually okay but being on my own trying to introduce myself to somebody is so hard and I don't know how to fix this. College is supposed to be a great time but so far I'm kinda just sad all the time. Also I am a commuter so it's even harder to meet people because I don't have a roommate or anything like that. How can I fix this and turn my college experience into a positive one? Thanks

It can take time to step out of our shells and embrace new experiences, even in college. If you're struggling with anxiety you may want to try making an appointment with a counselor who could help you work on coping skills and help you gain better control over your anxiety. If you are feeling this anxious meeting new people, then for now it might make more sense to stick with the group of friends you know. Although them to introduce you to new people and through these people you could start to meet your own new friends. When you are feeling anxious, try to identify what makes you feel anxious. Think about where you feel the anxiety, if there is something particular that makes you uncomfortable. Identifying this can help you the next time you meet someone new. Just because you aren't quite ready to branch out doesn't mean that this can't be a positive experience. You are taking steps to help you to feel more comfortable. Don't look at your shyness as a bad thing, it's just part of who you are. If you want to talk more you can also always give 2NDFLOOR a call @ 888-222-2228 anytime or text us Friday night's from 4pm-8pm @ 908-280-0235

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Mad :mad: Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Confused :confused: Smile :) Frown :( Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
    Working...
    X