Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

emotional abuse or just being overly sensitive?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• emotional abuse or just being overly sensitive?

I just want to know if this classifies as emotional abuse, or if I'm just being an over sensitive idiot that doesn't know how to handle anything
    So, I had a friend whom I had known since I was in kindergarten. At the time, I was just a bad friend, because I was such a people pleaser and usually tried to make others happy, which would result in me abandoning this friend. But she stuck with me through all of that sh*t regardless, allowing our friendship to continue. Fast forward to senior year of high school. This is where things get really screwed up between us. By now, I've stopped being such a people pleaser and make an effort to hang out with her. But, we have many other problems by now. We fight pretty much constantly at this point, and hanging out with her is extremely hard, given, I started most of the fights over stupid things when I had bad days. It was most definitely my fault. She rarely provoked fights. Anyways, probably 50 fights later, I just decided to cut her off to save whatever the f*ck was left of my sanity. THAT is where problems really started. She did NOT want to let go of the friendship. She yelled at me and still texted me, constantly trying to get me to befriend her again. Some days, it was her trying to guilt trip me back in (which may have worked once or twice) by telling me she was depressed without me, that she missed me, couldn't live without me, she suffered because I left her. Other days, she'd just scream at me, blame me for all her problems, accuse me of being a fake friend, claiming I hated her and wanted her to suffer. No matter how it went though, she blamed me for absolutely everything that happened. She blamed me for her toxicity, her anger, all our arguments (given, I did cause a good portion of those). At first, I thought nothing of these, but another friend said that sounded like boderline emotional abuse, so I thought back to everything on our friendship and noticed some odd things. I remember my friend getting upset and scolding me for hugging another friend at her house, yelling at me for unfollowing her on social media during a quarrel and saying I didn't care about her because of it, telling me she hated me and pushing me away when she full well knew I was suicidal (I know the number to the suicide hotline, I've called it before, I'm in therapy, I am NOT a danger to myself), disregarding my issues to talk about her own, getting jealous whenever I was close with anyone that wasn't her, getting angry when I confided in someone that wasn't hers, getting angry for me needing to leave a sleepover early because I was legitimately sick (she wouldn't let me go until I promised I would make it up to her. I was ready to throw up and couldn't stand up), and forcing me to eat at places/eat things I hated (I have bad memories with Taco Bell and food poisoning but she made me go there with her, and she's forced me to drink coffee, and I despise coffee). However, I can explain away a few of these things. She is very sensitive and over reads a lot of situations so maybe the social media thing and hugging someone at her house was her reading too much into it and having a gut reaction. I wasn't the only friend hanging out with her the day we went to taco bell so maybe she just didn't want to have to plan another place for everyone to hang out. The coffee thing, she had already made me a cup of coffee, it would be kind of rude for me to just refuse it. I don't know, I'm really confused is all. Am I just being oversensitive?

It sounds like your friendship isn't the healthiest dynamic so maybe addressing it with her would help. Giving yourself space to back away a little is a good idea too and you said that you did that which unfortunately sometimes you have to so that you are okay emotionally. I can't say whether you are being abused or oversensitive about your relationship, only you can do that but if you feel that you are being put in situations that are uncomfortable or they make you feel bad then do what you need to do. A lot of the behavior you mentioned again, is not healthy, but it sounds like your friend is in a bad way and does not know how to have healthy boundaries. I don't know how old you guys are but if you are minors, perhaps mentioning these situations to your mom or hers would help too? Here is the website for the National Alliance on Mental Illness @ http://www.naminj.org/ which might give you some insight on your friends behavior. If you want to talk further about this or anything then text or call us anytime at 888-222-2228.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Stick Out Tongue :p Confused :confused: Smile :) Frown :( Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Mad :mad: Wink ;) Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
    Working...
    X