Should I get emancipated?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I get emancipated?

Hi, I tried to contact 2ndfloor through text, but it wasn't working for whatever reason, so I'm posting here instead. My name is Amber and I'm a 16 year old high school student. Over the past few years a lot of issues have been arising with my family life, and our relationship has just gotten really toxic. I currently live with my dad, brother, step mom, and 2 step brothers. I've completely stopped talking to my step family, and my relationship with my dad continues to get more and more strained. I've talked to a lot of my friends about what goes on at my house, and they said they think I should get emancipated and just leave. The most recent issue was the fact that I got a boyfriend and didn't tell my dad, because I didn't feel comfortable enough to, and then I slept over his house (we were literally in separate rooms) and said it was just a friend. I know I was in the wrong for that, but my dad completely blew up and told me he was done with the disrespect and lies and manipulation, and he grounded me from seeing any of my friends at all. This is one of the very few times I've lied, and it was only because I felt very uncomfortable sharing this part of my life with him, and by extension, my step family (to prove my point, my step mom called me a whore, not to my face, and said she hopes I get pregnant so that I can leave. They were also saying I just found him because I knew I was going to be kicked out soon, and that it makes no sense how I could love my boyfriend and not care at all about my family. My step brothers also claimed that my bf looked totally gay, because they decided to stalk our profiles on instagram, which is honestly just so weird.). My dad constantly threatens me to pack my bags anyways, and it's clear they want me out, but he says that if I leave I'm just giving up on our relationship. Sorry, I know this is a lot of information and it's kinda all over the place, and there's a lot more to it to, but I figured this was a decent place to start. But basically, my main question is, is it a good idea for me to get emancipated? Because I honestly don't think I can take living here for much longer. There's just a lot of emotional abuse going on, and they don't physically hurt us or anything but they do feed us crap food, when they can very well afford better stuff. My brother and I are stuck eating hotdogs, bologna, frozen chicken nuggets, and cornflakes, while everyone else gets a full-fledged meal with actual nutrients. In their eyes we don't deserve to eat with them or eat the stuff that they make because we're "disrespectful". Anyways, there's a lot more I could say, but I'll just leave it here for now.

I am sorry to hear you are struggling at home and with you family. Becoming emancipated is not as easy as it it seems. While a parent can no longer make decisions for the child, the child is no longer entitled to financial support from the parent. So before going through this process you really need to try to seek help otherwise. Just leaving (or running away) is not a safe option and will involve law enforcement if your father calls them to find you. I would suggest you speak to someone at school about your issues at home or ask your dad for support getting counseling. This may be a way to get someone to meditate with your family and give you an opportunity to share your concerns and feelings. You can reach out to your school counselor for immediate help with school things or even with additional resources so don't wait to try that avenue. If you feel that you are in an unsafe environment at home then you can call DCP&P at 1-877-NJ ABUSE, they are available 24/7 to help you. You can call us anytime at 888-222-2228 you need further assistance. Thanks for reaching out to 2NDFLOOR.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Stick Out Tongue :p Confused :confused: Smile :) Frown :( Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Mad :mad: Wink ;) Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
    Working...
    X