bipolar mother

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bipolar mother

my mother is bipolar and always yells nonsensical things and accuses my dad of things he has never done. she goes to a doctor and is on medication, but i feel like it doesn't help her much. her episodes have only gotten worse over the past years and its really hard to manage as i cannot calm her down and her logic makes no sense, but it does to her. i don't know what to do about it. it affects me on a daily basis, but i can't force her to change her medication or anything. and her doctor only hears her side of the story, which is typically skewed due to her paranoid mindset. i want to intervene and help her, but she refuses help and thinks everyone else is the problem and that everyone is against her. even when i tell her that it affects me and i can't handle it, she still refuses to try and get a better treatment.

It sounds like you are doing a really good job of handling a very difficult situation with great skill. You are right in that a lot of bipolar disorder can include feelings of paranoia and thinking people are against you (even when in cases like yours, they are trying to help). Unfortunately, you're also right in that you don't get a say in altering your Mom's medication or talking to her Doctors. That's only something she would be able to do. Can you maybe ask if you could have a family session one time to see if you could get your side (and maybe your Dad if he wanted to go) across to the doctor as well. Then maybe the doctor would have a clearer picture of what's going on. Call or text us anytime at 888-222-2228.

Comment

I completely understand your situation. I for one have a bipolar mother and she sometimes lashes out at me in one of her episodes. The main problem would be that she also has depression so most of the time instead of being mostly mad she is like all sad and depressed. Although the medication she is taking does her well as she acts "normal" in a sense she is functioning but she sometimes is reluctant to even take her medication. At first though she would acuse me of stealing her stuff until i fond out she lost it. So i guess really is that you need to give it time or you can try to see if she isn't lying about taking her medication.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      Confused :confused: Smile :) Frown :( Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Mad :mad: Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
      Working...
      X