I'm not sure anymore....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not sure anymore....

This is the first time I've really been getting this off my chest.... I've shared with my friends but not everything. my dad was an alcoholic and had to be put in rehab for three months all the way in Florida. I was barely able to talk to him while he was gone. few months prior I had found a bottle of vodka in his car and didn't do anything about it. to this day I still beat myself up for never saying anything he got the help he needed but most of my family is grieving even though he is back and healthy he and my brother aren't as close and i have kind of moved on from it I've realized it's in the past but does that make me a bad person? why don't I feel bad and upset about it? sure I think about it now and again but I don't cry about it and even when he was gone after a month it got easier I've heard when something traumatic happens as a kid you have a higher risk of having problems as an adult.... why don't I feel bad? does that make me not love him? does it make me a bad daughter? I don't know what to think at the moment.

It sounds like this may have been a stressful time for you. In short, no, it does not make you a bad person. Everyone has their own way of dealing with problems. Having a parent or family member have alcohol dependence can be really tough on the entire family. Perhaps your brother is just needing more time to process all of it and move forward. You may want to talk to your brother about it and be each others support system. Experiencing trauma affects everyone differently. Moving forward doese not mean that you don't love him or that you are a bad daughter. It just means that maybe it was quicker process for you to move forward, and there is nothing wrong with that. It may be helpful to reach out to some family and friends with support, or even check out community meetings such as ALANON (support groups for family members of the alcohol dependent). You can also call 2NDFLOOR anytime at 888-222-2228 for more help.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Confused :confused: Smile :) Frown :( Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Mad :mad: Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
    Working...
    X