Toxic mother

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toxic mother

I honestly don't know where to start this is just a lot for me to process. my mother is extremely judgmental and i do NOT feel safe around her. No matter what I say or do, I feel like I'm doing something wrong. Because I'm a girl she always picks on me for playing video games and wearing sweatshirts etc. tiny stuff like that can get to you after a while. I'm constantly bombarded with insults and I'm being guilt tripped for just trying to tell her to stop. She's so homophobic and addicted to gender stereotypes that if my friend who's a girl has short hair comes over, she will question me for days on if she's "safe" or "is normal". Along with this, she has attempted to kick my sister and I out of marching band because one member was a transgender guy. She brought it up at a parent meeting and got mad at his parents because he took his shirt off. (He even HAD top surgery so it's not like anything was showing. [even if he had not had surgery I wouldn't have a problem but you get the point]). She constantly looks over my shoulder and takes my phone. I don't do anything "bad" but now because Of this I have a constant habit of shutting my phone off and it's hard for me to open up to aNYONE. She's so obsessed with the nuclear family that even if a dude is 30, she will try to get my sister and I to say he's attractive, and If we don't, we're in trouble for the rest of the day, or month, or year. A while back she found out I went to my schools GSA (gay straight alliance ) meetings and she pushed me into a counter top. She screamed at me for weeks on how I was insane and I need a psychiatrist for even supporting "those kinds of people". I like girls. I'm g a y. Living in this house is a daily horror because I wonder if she will find out. I have constantly made plans to run away to my friends house, but I don't because I'm too anxious to. I'm too scared to even talk to a girl romantically and doubt I ever will because I have a constant fear of her sneaking up on me. She supports pence and his idea of conversion therapy which sends MY anxiety through the ROOF. If she finds out, she'll probably move to a state where it's legal and convert me.
    I don't know what my future is going to be like because she wants to move next to me once I have my own house.... she's so addicted to the idea of family that she doesn't care about the one before her. She sees other girls and compares me to them, and puts me down to the point where I wonder if I'm worth anything.

Going back to what I said before, last year I had a crush on this girl and I tweeted about her once or twice. My mom somehow found my twitter and woke me up in the middle of the night and started screaming. She threatened to kill whoever made me like "this" and bombarded me with insults until I could convince her it was a joke and I was actually making fun of her....
    I really don't know where this whole thing is going. I just need some support and advice. I just want to dress how I want, date who I want, and actually hang out with my friends. Thank you!!

This sounds like a very stressful situation to be in. It is sad to say that many people in this world are still very close-minded to the people who are not like them. The good news is that you are aware of who you are and who you want to be and that is wonderful, many people struggle with this their whole life. As far as your mother goes, deep down she obviously wants the best for you but she doesn’t realize that her actions and anger towards this is affecting you so much. It is very scary to feel like you have to hide in your own home and I am sorry you have to go through this every day. Her reactions on the matter are only going to make things worse for you and herself. I am going to suggest you go to another trusted adult about this situation, possibly a school counselor or another adult in your family. I know it is hard, you don’t have to tell anyone about yourself, just about how your mother has been acting. Also, please visit the www.trevorproject.org, they too have a helpline that you can call or text 24/7 and they specifically talk to youth about struggles and issues that the LGBTQ community are facing. They also have a chat room that is confidential an anonymous. I really hope things get easier for you, and one day you and your mom can actually have an honest relationship. Good luck with everything and please call or text us 24/7 at 888-222-2228 we would love to give you more support on this!

Comment

Thank you 2nd floor

This is the same person and I just read the reply. I have talked to the school counselor before and they can't do anything about it without telling my mother and that just isn't an option for me. My friends mother knows so if anything happens I can go to her house (she lives on my block) so that's there if I ever need it. Anyway, thank you for your advice. It's nice to have someone NOT say "well she's your mom you have to love her" for once.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      Stick Out Tongue :p Confused :confused: Smile :) Frown :( Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Mad :mad: Wink ;) Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
      Working...
      X