Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this an abusive relationship, or am I just doing something wrong?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this an abusive relationship, or am I just doing something wrong?

So my boyfriend and I have been together for just over 3 months and I'm starting to realize that we're having a lot of arguments lately. I don't know what to think of it, but here are some of the things that I have going on that make me question if our relationship is healthy or not:

1. I'm afraid to tell him about my problems because I know he'll either just brush it off or get mad at me because I'm complaining again. I should add that I have a lot of problems and I do tell him about them a lot.
    2. He thinks I over-exaggerate when something goes wrong based on how he was a few years ago. He thinks that because he felt a certain way, I must feel the exact same way. He thinks my problems are no where near as bad as I make them seem when really, I don't over exaggerate.
    3. Sometimes he makes me feel like I'm stupid. If I haven't heard of a movie or a TV show, he'll say something and it'll make me feel so stupid.
    4. He makes me feel like I'm the problem in the relationship. He makes it seem like if I didn't do the things I do, our relationship would be fine. But no, he never takes any of the blame for our fights, he just makes it seem like everything's my fault and my fault only.
    5. He cheated on me 5 times with the same girl and didn't plan on telling me for another few months, had I not found out. I forgave him but he never apologized and never did anything about their friendship until just recently.
    6. I feel like every time I try to break up with him, he fights for me to stay. I want him to fight for me but sometimes I wonder what will happen if I do leave.
    7. The way he talks to me through Facebook when we have fights, it's horrible. He treats me like I don't have feelings.
    8. If I fight back, he blames me for our fights.
    9. He gets mad when I tell my friends what's going on between us, and when something negative comes up about our relationship, I feel like I have to defend him and really, I'm embarrassed about the way he acts with me and the things he's done to me.
    10. I have to question the things I'm about to say to avoid setting him off or getting him upset with me.
    11.When something bad happens, he ignores me. He doesn't talk to me about it. He keeps it to himself and ignores me for hours and sometimes days.
    12. When we do fight, he yells at me through text messages and Facebook and stuff. He gets so angry when I ask a simple question.
    13. I'm actually afraid of him sometimes.
    14. He said that sometimes he's had thoughts about killing a few of the people in his life who just cause him problems, and it makes me scared that one day he's going to have those thoughts about me and want to kill me. What if he actually goes through with it? I mean we're neighbors so it could always happen. I'm afraid to tell someone about this because I don't want to be the reason why he's sent back to the psychiatric ward for who knows how long.
    15. Ever since he cheated on me, I have issues with people. I don't trust anyone anymore.

I don't exactly know what to do about this and if I can even do anything about it. Can anyone give me some advice? Thank you

Thank you so much for reaching out to 2NDFLOOR. This is a tough position to be in. From what you are describing, this seems like an unhealthy situation. Nobody deserves to feel hurt, scared, or belittled in their relationship. Being cheated on and called stupid by a significant other is not acceptable behavior. Also, if you are concerned for your own safety or for the safety of others, it would be best to tell an adult that you trust and to call 911. It seems like it would benefit you to put some distance in between you and him and to move on from this relationship. Consider the way you want to be treated in a relationship. You may even want to reach out to close friends, family, a teacher, or a guidance counselor for support. They may be able to help you. Remember that if you do decide to end the relationship at any point, it is important to do it with your safety in mind! Check out the website www.loveisrespect.org. Please call 2NDFLOOR anytime at 888-222-2228 for more help. We are here 24/7!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Stick Out Tongue :p Confused :confused: Smile :) Frown :( Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Mad :mad: Wink ;) Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
    Working...
    X